Position of "ou"

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Position of "ou"

Post by vir litterarum »

ὁ?πως δὲ συ? τινα πει?θοις ἂν καὶ σμικ?ὸν νου̂ν ἐ?χοντα ἀνθ?ω?πων, ὡς οὐ του̂ αὐτου̂ ἐ?στιν καὶ δαιμο?νια καὶ θει̂α ἡγει̂σθαι, καὶ αὐ̂ του̂ αὐτου̂ μη?τε  δαι?μονας μη?τε θεοὺς μη?τε ἡ??ωας, οὐδεμι?α μηχανη? ἐστιν.
P.A. 27e-28a

The "ou" after ὡς clearly negates the main clause, i.e. "there is no way how..." so why is it placed after ὡς?

Helma
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Position of "ou"

Post by Helma »

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

But when a compound negative follows a simple negative, doesn't the compound negative merely strengthen the first negative and hence is translated "any"? I thought that it was only when two simple negatives are used that they are both translated separately.

Helma
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helma »

vir litterarum wrote:But when a compound negative follows a simple negative, doesn't the compound negative merely strengthen the first negative and hence is translated "any"? I thought that it was only when two simple negatives are used that they are both translated separately.
They are in separate finite clauses, so the rule does not apply.