Does a Greek irregular verb tester exist?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Johannes_Vigorniae
Textkit Neophyte

Does a Greek irregular verb tester exist?

Post by Johannes_Vigorniae »

Χαἰ?ετε, ὠ Τεξτκἰτιοι! I'm trying - after a break of a couple of years - to get my Greek going again. But I'm having great difficulty with remembering those δεινο?ς irregular verbs... Has anyone written software to test irregular verbs? I use the Eton Greek Project software for morphology practice, but irregular verbs are getting me down a bit :( Can anyone help?

Johannes Vigorniae

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

I'm not sure this is exactly what you're looking for, but you might want to check out some of the verb practice drills at http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~ancgreek/ ... start.html.

Johannes_Vigorniae
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Johannes_Vigorniae »

swiftnicholas
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by swiftnicholas »

For an offline resource, a standard grammar like Goodwin or Smyth has a list of the most important irregular verbs and their principle parts. You could access it from the Textkit archives and print off the relevant pages, and even make your own flash cards if you are so inclined. Just a thought, N.

kallistos
Textkit Neophyte

Greek verbs software

Post by kallistos »

I would try Kalós, a free verb conjugator software

http://kalos-software.com

Which does both canonical-to-conjugated (inflection) and conjugated-to-canonical (morphological analysis).

It is the best software there is, for what you are looking for

Gonzalo

perispomenon
Textkit Fan

Post by perispomenon »

Johannes_Vigorniae wrote:Well, the principle parts tester is close: something that throws principle parts and/or conjugated forms at the user to aid recognition was what I was looking for. Nothing available offline, I suppose?
Sure it is available offline: I bought a CD version of the site years ago. Check the home page. Ordering info is right there.

Helma
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helma »

You should try Mastronarde's site again, and go to the Verb Drills. Irregular verbs will pop up from the beginning (unlike in some textbooks), and you'll get a lot of verbs thrown at you. the Mastronarde website is also available on CD.
If you feel like you have dealt with all that site can throw at you, try www.gottwein.de for some pretty intense morphology pages.
After that - well, when you open any text at random, you'll see lots of verbs with irregular principal parts (note the spelling:-))..