Plato Gorgias 461d

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Yuriy
Textkit Neophyte

Plato Gorgias 461d

Post by Yuriy »

Τὴν μακ?ολογίαν, ὦ Πῶλε, ἢν καθέ?ξῃς, ᾗ τὸ π?ῶτον
?πεχεί?ησας χ?ῆσθαι.

th\n makroligi/an, w)= Pw=le, h)\n kaqe/rch|s, h|(= to\ prw=ton e)pexei/rhsas xrh=sqai.

I've tried everything but I just can't figure out what verb καθέ?ξῃς kaqe/rchs comes from.'

Thanks for your help.
Yuriy

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

I couldn't either so I cheated and used Perseus project to find it.

According to this it's from κατά and ἕ?δω. I couldn't find the compound verb in my dictionary (but them I can't seem to think straight so it may be somewhere there and I just missed it).

The verb ἕ?δω is, according to my dictionary of ionic origin and quite rare. It's ἕ?δω, ἕ?δον/ ἕ?δεσκον,ἕ?ξω, ἕ?ξα and in Aesch Ag 1529 ή?ξεν, ἕο?γα, ?ώ?γειν (resent, Paratatikos, Future, Aorist, Pr. Perf, Past Perf). There are other types of the verb there :D

I know it doesn't help much but I promise I'll try more once I get some aspirins and some sleep :)

aloimonon
Textkit Member

Post by aloimonon »

Since I was handily defeated in my attempts to find this verb, I was following this thread with interest. Following Irene's post, I looked it up in the PDF LSJ, and while it had a smooth breathing, the text said this:

"this Verb took the aspirate, acc. to Schol. Ar. Ach. 329; and it is often so written in Mss"

Irene, out of curiosity, which dictionary did you use? Could you please give your dictionary title, author, and ISBN when you have the time?

thanks!

PS: I used the PDF LSJ linked to by swiftnicolas
viewtopic.php?t=7086
ἀλλ' ἔγωγε ἐξ αὐτῶν τούτων μᾶλλον αὐτὸν τεθαύμακα, ὅτι ἔν τε ἀλλοκότοις καὶ ἐν ἐξαισίοις πράγμασι αὐτός τε διεγένετο καὶ τὴν ἀρχὴν διεσώσατο. Dio LXXII 36.3

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Plukidi It's Μέγα Λεξικόν της Ελληνικής Γλώσσης by Δημητ?άκος. I've heard it has been reprinted so the new edition will probably have an ISBN number but this one doesn't I think :D

aloimonon
Textkit Member

Post by aloimonon »

ἀλλ' ἔγωγε ἐξ αὐτῶν τούτων μᾶλλον αὐτὸν τεθαύμακα, ὅτι ἔν τε ἀλλοκότοις καὶ ἐν ἐξαισίοις πράγμασι αὐτός τε διεγένετο καὶ τὴν ἀρχὴν διεσώσατο. Dio LXXII 36.3

Yuriy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Yuriy »

Thanks Irene. It was indeed helpful and led me to a listing in my middle Liddle of the verb καθείγνυμι, deriving from κατὰ + ἕ?γω/εἴ?γω and fitting the context quite well. Great work.

Yuriy