Rosetta Stone?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
JasperYate
Textkit Neophyte

Rosetta Stone?

Post by JasperYate »

I just recieved a Greek Rosetta Stone program as a gift, but I'm pretty sure it's modern greek. Should I make the effort to use it and try and learn from it, or should I not even try? How different is Ancient Greek from Modern Greek is my real question, i guess

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

my understanding is that they are quite different, but someone more knowledgeable can verify.

what are the chances that you could trade it in for a different language?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

See if your library has it available to you. I can get (any/many?) of the languages they have online from home for free through my public library. I just didn't like the program very much (I found it boring and slow) but if you like it you can't beat free.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

If what you are interested is Ancient Greek it would help but it would really prove to be extra effort. There are some major differences between modern and ancient Greek (the further back in time you go the greatest) so while it is helpful I'd suggest you don't use it right now.
Save it somewhere and once you know ancient Greek well enough it may be amusing to note the differences and similarities and whatnot :) Other than that nahh!

Some of the MAJOR differences (minus ending changes): Say bye bye to the infinitive; What passes for infinitive in MG really doesn't deserve the name (some don't even call it so). The AG infinitive has survived in some stock phrases (either from AG or from the Puristic form of modern Greek [Katharevousa] )

Major curbing of the forms and use of the participle especially of the Active voice.

Middle voice (not mood obviously) is gone and so is Optative.

No dative (apart from stock phrases)

No dual number

No third declention really (there is and there isn't but mostly isn't :D )

No breathing marks and only oxeia from the accent marks

MAJOR shift in pronunciation (unless you are interested in Koine Greek in which case there IS a shift but not that major)

Many loan words from other languages and complete change of meaning in some.

I think that covers it :D

In other words, if your native language is Greek learning ancient Greek is easier but if it's not why not go for the AG from the word go if Modern Greek doesn't interest you?

JasperYate
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JasperYate »

Thank you everybody. I don't think the make an ancient greek version of rosetta stone so I wanted to make sure it wasn't useful and I want to read Homer and Plato and Aristotle, and any of the extant pre-Socratics so it seems as if it would be useless. Thanks Again

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Ouch! Useless? That hurt! :D

JasperYate
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JasperYate »

i meant the program