prosecho cum acc. + inf.

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

prosecho cum acc. + inf.

Post by vir litterarum »

I was reading in Matthew chapter 6:1 and saw that Jesus uses an accusative + infinitive in an indirect command after prosecho. I could not find this construction after this verb in Liddell and Scott and was wondering whether anyone had seen it before?

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Well I had to google it although to me it sounds quite natural :D

I found
" Ἀκούσατε, παῖδες, παιδείαν πατ?ὸς καὶ π?οσέχετε γνῶναι ἔννοιαν· "

Source (in the 4th part)

If this cool site is correct though it's the only instance in all the New Testament.

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

That is not the verse to which I was referring. Here is the verse about which i was querying: "π?οσέχετε δὲ τὴν δικαιοσ?νην ὑμω̃ν μὴ ποιει̃ν ἐ?μπ?οσθεν τω̃ν ἀνθ?ώπων π?òς τò θεαθη̃ναι αὐτοι̃ς εἰ δὲ μή γε μισθòν οὐκ ἐ?χετε πα?ὰ τω̨̃ πατ?ὶ ὑμω̃ν τω̨̃ ἐν τοι̃ς οὐ?ανοι̃ς" I cannot find a reference to π?οσέχετε being used this way.

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

I know vir :) (I found it also as Π?οσέχετε τὴν ?λεημοσύνην ὑμῶν by the way; I guess this one is the orthodox/byzantine "version" :) )

You asked if anyone has seen it before though. I though you didn't want me (or anyone for that matter) to repeat what you've already found eh? My source is not from the New Testament anyway as you can see if you click on the links I've posted

Anyway, I've never encountered it before but that doesn't make it wrong per se.

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

what usage of the infinitive would you classify this as? Objective infinitive after a verb of caution?

aso
Textkit Neophyte

Post by aso »

π?οσέχω often takes the object νοῦν and i think the indirect command usage just comes from this with νοῦν implied. i think i've seen plato do it a couple of times. might be wrong tho, since a final clause makes just as much, and probably more, sense than accusative+infinitive here.

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

Weeeell it's a bit tricky isn't it? I confess I am biased by modern Greek and consider that it's either an objective infinitive (why not? consider ?φυλάξατο μὴ ἄπιστος γενέσθαι Xenophon Agesilaos 8.5) or an infinitive of purpose if we actually consider δικαιοσ?νην as the object.