Textkit Logo

H&Q Unit 2

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

H&Q Unit 2

Postby bingley » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:54 pm

Could someone look over these English to Greek translations for me, please? I'm particularly interested in getting the accents right. The themes for this unit were: Active Present, Imperfect, Future, and Aorist indicative tenses, Active Present and Aorist infinitives, and subject-verb agreement.<br /><br />1. You used to send gifts from the market place to the gods of the island.<br />2. Did you (pl.) order Homer to free the five men in the house or not?<br />3. They will educate their brothers by words and deeds.<br />4. The goddess is now ordering the six brothers to send gold to their friends on the island.<br />5. The gifts of their brothers freed the six men.<br /><br />[face=SPIonic] <br />a. dw=ra de\ e)k th=j a)gora=j toi=j qeoi=j th=j nh/sou e)/pempej.<br /><br />b. a)=ra O(/mhron tou\j pe/nte a0nqrw/pouj e0n th|= oi0ki/a| lu/sai <br />e)keleu/sate h)\ ou)/;<br /><br />g. tou\j de\ a)delfou\j kai\ lo/goij kai\ e)/rgoij paideu/sousin.<br /><br />d. kai\ nu=n h( qeo\j tou\j e(\c a)delfou\j xruso\n toi=j e)n th|= nh/sw| fi/loij pe/mpein ke/leuei.<br /><br />e. ta\ de\ tw=n a)delfw=n dw=ra tou\j e(\c a)nqrw/pouj e)/leusen.<br />[/face]<br />
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:H&Q Unit 2

Postby Emma_85 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:49 pm

Looks right to me, though I'm not sure why that kai is in sentence 4. I don't know much about the accents myself so I can't help there... there are a few accents that don't look right, but I'd better not confuse you, as I may be wrong (think I will in one case anyway ;). I think the accent in 1)[face=SPIonic]e)pe/mpej[/face] is too far forward.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Clemens » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:40 pm

I would have translated the first sentence that way:<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]dw~ra de\ e0k th~j a)gora~j e1pempej toi=j th~j nh&sou qeo=ij.[/face]<br /><br />Now the question for those who are really good at Greek:<br /><br />I think that the genitive [face=SPIonic]th~j nh&sou[/face] should be set attributiv (sorry, don't know the English word) - am I right? If not, why should it be prädikativ?<br /><br />Clemens :)
Clemens
Textkit Member

Postby Emma_85 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:52 pm

As far as I know there is no real difference, prädikative is the same as attributive as far as the translation goes. It' just a different way of writing it.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Raya » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:45 pm

[quote author=Emma_85 link=board=2;threadid=721;start=0#6944 date=1064587769]I'm not sure why that kai is in sentence 4.[/quote]<br /><br />Don't forget that 'kai' can mean 'even' as well as 'and'.<br /><br />So, in this case: "Even now the goddess..."
phpbb
Raya
Textkit Fan

Postby Skylax » Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:12 pm

My contribution :<br /><br />- Are the various [face=SPIonic]de/[/face] at the beginning of the sentences so important ?<br /><br />- [face=SPIonic]b. a=ra : po/teron - tou\j pe/nte a0nqrw/pouj e0n th|= oi0ki/a| : tou\j e0n th|= oi0ki/a| pe/nte a0nqrw/pouj [/face]<br /><br />-[face=SPIonic]d. xruso\n[/face] (metal) or [face=SPIonic]xrusi/on[/face] (money) ?<br /><br />-[face=SPIonic] e. e)/leusen[/face] inadvertently for [face=SPIonic]e)/lusen[/face], of course.<br /><br />[face=SPIonic]ta plei=st' ou)=n eu)= kai\ kalw=j e)gra/fh[/face]
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Emma_85 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:17 pm

Don't forget that 'kai' can mean 'even' as well as 'and'.
<br /><br />I hadn't forgotten :)<br />I just wouldn't have added the word, because it isn't Even now..., but just ...now...
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Raya » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:25 pm

Hmm... well - you're more experienced than I, Emma - so, could you explain how one can tell that it's just 'now' not 'even now'?<br /><br />I mean, if it were in context I could understand 'kai' just indicating a new line of thought... but considering that the sentence stands on its own...<br />???
phpbb
Raya
Textkit Fan

Postby Emma_85 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:04 pm

Well, it's quite easy if you have the context of course. Without it could be either, though if you have a single sentence like that one, then why should you start it with kai=and? So the only other translation is even, but you wouldn't say even now..., unless you were translating a story or the sentence actually had even in it.<br />The same with men and de. These two words are there to structure a text or sentence. If your only translating single sentences you'll only have to use them in some long ones, that need some structuring.
phpbb
Emma_85
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby bingley » Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:53 am

That of course is the problem with translating single sentences, you don't get much practice with particles. Perhaps I was overcompensating.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Return to Learning Greek