Greek Audio Files

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Greek Audio Files

Post by vir litterarum »

Does anyone know of a site wher I can download audio files of recitations of Classical Greek Literature in their original form?

Clemens
Textkit Member

Post by Clemens »

Hi,

some short passages can be found there:

http://www.oeaw.ac.at/kal/agp/
http://wiredforbooks.org/iliad/

Best,
Clemens

Amadeus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Amadeus »

The helenists in this forum should make recordings of their own, like we latinists did over at the Latin Forum. Come on, I double dare ya! :lol: brawk, Brawk brawk, brawk...

Lisa: Relax?! I can't relax! Nor can I yield, relent, or... Only two synonyms? Oh my God! I'm losing my perspicacity! Aaaaa!

Homer: Well it's always in the last place you look.

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

These are wonderful sites. The only problem is that I can't download the audio files. I want to download some verse onto my Ipod. Do you know of any sites that offer downloadable content?

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Am I the only one who thinks there's very little difference between the RealPlayer line of "software" and a virus? I hate it when I encounter anything coded for it.

If you use windows you can at least get a free program like audiograbber which will take anything played through your computer's audio system and save it as an mp3. That would at least let you get the audio onto your ipod (if you were willing to load that god-awful RealPlayer thing).
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

The second is much, much better!!! Not perfect but I like it very much. I can't say the same of the first! Nice links though.

aso
Textkit Neophyte

Post by aso »

the realplayer program for windows is nothing less than a virus. i use linux, and there are codecs available that allow you to play .rm files in most media players (like totem, for example). maybe there's something similar for windows, but i doubt it.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Am I the only one who thinks there's very little difference between the RealPlayer line of "software" and a virus?
the realplayer program for windows is nothing less than a virus.
Why is that? Is there a difference between this and Microsoft© Media Player 10, and Macromedia Flash 6?
I don't have any of the three but I am curious.
Due to my own carelessness I gave a virus (or whatever it was) an opportunity to get at my computer and I don't want to do it again.

edonnelly
Administrator

Post by edonnelly »

Bert wrote:Why is that? Is there a difference between this and Microsoft© Media Player 10, and Macromedia Flash 6?
I don't have any of the three but I am curious.
It just takes over all kinds of things on your computer and insinuates itself everywhere, declaring itself the default application for all kinds of files and flooding you with advertisements whenever you use it. Any time I have installed it on a windows computer I regretted it, and I have always ended up uninstalling it. It's not really a virus, I just think its behavior is so annoying and obtrusive that I compare it to one. It won't erase files on your computer or anything like that.

I think that the .rm files are proprietary and thus won't run on any of those other media players.

I'm glad to hear they'll play on a standard linux player (since I'm a big linux fan) but I hate even supporting sites that use real media, so I have mixed feelings about even using these codecs.
The lists:
G'Oogle and the Internet Pharrchive - 1100 or so free Latin and Greek books.
DownLOEBables - Free books from the Loeb Classical Library