Wanted: Dedicated Proof Listener for Reading of Anabasis

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
bedwere
Global Moderator

Wanted: Dedicated Proof Listener for Reading of Anabasis

Post by bedwere »

I'll be recording the Anabasis on Librivox and I need somebody to join Librivox to be a dedicated proof listener. The requirements to be a PL or DPL are spelled out here. Only Standard Proof-listening is required.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Wanted: Dedicated Proof Listener for Reading of Anabasis

Post by jeidsath »

How do I sign up?
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Register here, Joel. Many thanks!

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

Roberto, do you know which part(s) of the Anabasis you will be recording? Surely not the entire work, as awesome as that would be?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

It's going to be awesome, Randy! :lol:

scotistic
Textkit Neophyte

Post by scotistic »

I'm looking forward to it. I've profited from your other recordings, and have been waiting for, and following your progress on, your De civitate dei recording for the last year and a half!

You're doing all of us a great service.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Thank you for your kind words, Scotistic! I have a Xenophontic as proof-listener. :D

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Joel, with two infant daughters, a wife, a job, managing Textkit, and his own intellectual pursuits cannot proof-listen any more. So I am looking for a substitute. The steps for you, oh brave volunteer, to follow are:
  1. Reply to this post.
  2. Get an account on the Librivox forum, https://forum.librivox.org
  3. Subscribe to topic https://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=71273
  4. Post that you are taking over the office of proof-listener from Joel.
  5. Download the first section that says "Ready for PL."
  6. Listen to it attentively with audacity (or equivalent program), while you read along the text from https://archive.org/details/operaomniar ... ft/page/72
  7. If you notice a mistake, write down the time and kind of mistake. These may be sound quality, but also a missing word or particle, repetitions, wrong person (like ἔπαυσαν instead of ἔπαυσεν), etc.. For example, for the first section Joel wrote: 8:38 καὶ ἁθροίζει καὶ ἁθροίζει because I recorded something twice.
  8. Write a post within the topic to tell me what to fix.
  9. When you are notified through the subscription that I fixed the problems, no need to listen again to the whole recording: you just spot check the fixes at the times where they were needed.
  10. Go back to point 5 until there are no more sections to proof-listen to.
Many thanks!

ariphron
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ariphron »

I'll try proof listening for you.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

The reading is completed and only two sections still need proof listening. I'll post an announcement when this happens and the recording is available to the public.
Afterwards, what other Greek works would you like me to read for Librivox? Keep in mind that there is already an Apology of Socrates by Plato (I'm not counting those recorded with modern Greek pronunciation).

scotistic
Textkit Neophyte

Post by scotistic »

I've continued to follow the progress on this and the Augustine project with great interest. I'd be willing to give proof-listening a try on a future project, though I have no experience with this kind of thing.

I'd be very interested in any classic works there aren't recordings available for already, especially Herodotus, more Xenophon, or works by Plato that haven't been done by Julius Tomin, say Symposium, Protagoras, the Trilogy, or the Laws.

It's a great time to supplement Greek learning with free audio recordings. More are being made all the time. One can find about half of Plato on Tomin's site as well as a lot of other things, a complete recording of the Iliad on archive.org, as well as the stuff on librivox. I don't mind the range of pronunciation styles. At first I found recordings in modern Greek hard to listen to, but as I've followed the (now near-complete) Odyssey and Thucydides on librivox I've grown used to them. I still prefer the restored pronunciation though.

markcmueller
Textkit Member

Post by markcmueller »

I'd vote for Plato's Symposium.

ariphron
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ariphron »

You should record what catches your imagination, and what you think a substantial number of people would be able to understand by listening. Whether it has already been recorded and whether it is considered literature of the first rank are secondary considerations.

That said, I am in the early stages of planning my first solo project for Librivox, and the selection I am currently leaning towards is Platos's Crito, Lysis, Protagoras, Gorgias, and Symposium.

Discussion is at https://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.ph ... 3#p1615393

If we both record Plato for Librivox in the next year, I'll feel more comfortable coordinating so that the selections don't overlap.

I think there would be real value in recordings of the speeches of Lysias and Demosthenes. There's also a lot more Xenophon that hasn't been recorded. What's your current interest with regard to dialect? Purest Attic? Ionic? Tending toward early Koine? Later Atticizing authors? If later authors appeal to you, there's no reason not to do some Plutarch or Lucian.

I'm budgeting some time in the next week to finish the Anabasis proof listening. It really makes me feel bad to cause a delay in the release of your recording, but it's a challenge, especially during the summer, to find time when I'm not exhausted: you went from one proof listener with two young daughters to another proof listener with two young daughters.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Thank you, Ariphron. I hope to reciprocate your help when you'll be recording Plato. I confess that I thought Thucydides, but, since my goal is to produce comprehensible listening for those interested in speaking Ancient Greek, it's probably better that I stick to the easier prose of Xenophon, whom I find "simpatico", as we say in Italian.

donhamiltontx
Textkit Member

Post by donhamiltontx »

If you ever lean back to Thucydides, then how about a shortie: just the Melian dialogue to accompany Textkit member Paula Dunbar's commentary? For Plato, there is the Euthyphro, relatively easy, don't you think?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Maybe, but not now. I decided for Cyropaedia. Thanks for your suggestions.

scotistic
Textkit Neophyte

Post by scotistic »

I think Cyropaedia is a great idea. Looking forward to it!

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

Ditto, Cyropaedia is a great idea. You the man!

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

Project has been started and subotin will be DPL. However, if Ariphron or others would like to lend a hand, he would gladly share the burden.

https://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=76397