Classical Greek with Direct Method?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Karagialis
Textkit Neophyte

Classical Greek with Direct Method?

Post by Karagialis »

I'm investigating the possibility of using Direct Method in a Classical Greek class (I'm interested mostly in Classical, not Koine). What do you think?

Has anyone been in such a class? How was it? How did the teacher pronounced the sounds and the accents?

I guess it is possible, especially with the help of the phrasebooks and other sources here.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Classical Greek with Direct Method?

Post by Markos »

Karagialis wrote:I'm investigating the possibility of using Direct Method in a Classical Greek class...What do you think?
ἐὰν Ἑλληνιστὶ ἡμῖν γράφῃς σύγε, γράψομέν σοι.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Re: Classical Greek with Direct Method?

Post by jeidsath »

You should consider attending the next one of these, which bedwere and I just got back from:

https://mcl.as.uky.edu/conventiculum-graecum

I also recommend emailing Stephen Hill about the longer course that is being planned.

Pronunciation is a bit of free-for-all. If I can recommend anything along that line, it is to read Vox Graeca a few times, and makes sure that your pronunciation is good enough for students to be able to write down exactly what you are saying when you speak slowly, not confusing ο for ω or accented for unaccented syllables, etc. Also that students are able to hear the metre of verse when you speak it aloud.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com