Textkit Logo

Classical Greek with Direct Method?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

Classical Greek with Direct Method?

Postby Karagialis » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:36 am

I'm investigating the possibility of using Direct Method in a Classical Greek class (I'm interested mostly in Classical, not Koine). What do you think?

Has anyone been in such a class? How was it? How did the teacher pronounced the sounds and the accents?

I guess it is possible, especially with the help of the phrasebooks and other sources here.
Karagialis
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Classical Greek with Direct Method?

Postby Markos » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:36 pm

Karagialis wrote:I'm investigating the possibility of using Direct Method in a Classical Greek class...What do you think?

ἐὰν Ἑλληνιστὶ ἡμῖν γράφῃς σύγε, γράψομέν σοι.
οὐ μανθάνω γράφειν, ἀλλὰ γράφω τοῦ μαθεῖν.
Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: Classical Greek with Direct Method?

Postby jeidsath » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:02 pm

You should consider attending the next one of these, which bedwere and I just got back from:

https://mcl.as.uky.edu/conventiculum-graecum

I also recommend emailing Stephen Hill about the longer course that is being planned.

Pronunciation is a bit of free-for-all. If I can recommend anything along that line, it is to read Vox Graeca a few times, and makes sure that your pronunciation is good enough for students to be able to write down exactly what you are saying when you speak slowly, not confusing ο for ω or accented for unaccented syllables, etc. Also that students are able to hear the metre of verse when you speak it aloud.
Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

μὴ δ’ οὕτως ἀγαθός περ ἐὼν θεοείκελ’ Ἀχιλλεῦ
κλέπτε νόῳ, ἐπεὶ οὐ παρελεύσεαι οὐδέ με πείσεις.
jeidsath
Administrator

Return to Learning Greek