Greek Word-Building

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Roberto28
Textkit Neophyte

Greek Word-Building

Post by Roberto28 »

Hello,

I'm new to this forum.

I'm currently working on this book "Greek Word-Building" by Matthias Stehle. I'd like to know if anybody else has worked through this material, and what their experience with it was.

Also, if anybody knows other methods for learning vocabulary, similar to this book or different, I would love your input.

Regards,
Roberto Carrera

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: Greek Word-Building

Post by RandyGibbons »

Hello, Roberto, and welcome to Textkit.

There's probably a zillion resources for building Greek vocabulary, in addition to working through introductory textbooks and simply reading more and more Greek.

Three of these zillion I happen to have on my bookshelf, so I'll mention them. Two short, relatively inexpensive paperbacks: Classical Greek Prose A Basic Vocabulary by Malcolm Campbell, a classified list of 1500 of the commonest words. Greek Vocabulary and Idiom for Higher Forms by W.J. Bullock and J.A.Harrison.

Another method of learning vocabulary is doing elementary prose composition. The latest entry in that genre is Eleanor Dickey's An Introduction to the Composition and Analysis of Greek Prose.

It might help to narrow the field if you tell us a little more about where you're at with Greek. Are you self-taught? Are you learning it mostly or exclusively for biblical study (I notice that the Stehle book is for that purpose)? Do you find you are patient with working through vocabulary lists (with no context) and that this is an effective method for you (many people, including me in hindsight, don't)? Are you also a student of Latin ?

Randy Gibbons

Roberto28
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Roberto28 »

Thank you Randy for your thoughtful reply. (I'll make sure to look into the books you mentioned).

I am not a beginner Greek student. I have had various semesters of Greek (not including your introductory year). My exposure to Greek, however, has been limited to Hellenistic Greek (Septuagint and the NT mainly) and some Patristic.

I'm getting ready to take comprehensive exams in December. My aim is to prepare well. Sadly, one of the areas that I feel I struggle the most is vocabulary. I do plan to read extensively. But I want to take the summer to work on vocabulary primarily.

I can deal with vocabulary lists. But I don't want to limit myself to doing that alone. The book I mentioned is particularly helpful because it not only lists vocab, it teaches about nominal and verbal morphology as an aid to figuring out the meaning of the words.

I do know some basic Latin, but not as well as Greek. Having said all this, I do want to start reading some Classical Greek in the future.

Regards,
Roberto

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

Thanks, Roberto.

If your comprehensives are biblical- and patristic-oriented, there are folks here on Textkit far more qualified than I am to recommend vocabulary aides in those areas, and hopefully one or more of them will chime in. In any case, may your preparation be a labor of love and not just a labor :D .