What is the voice and tense of φανει here? Wasps line 530

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Phoebus Apollo
Textkit Neophyte

What is the voice and tense of φανει here? Wasps line 530

Post by Phoebus Apollo »

ἐνεγκάτω μοι δεῦρο τὴν κίστην τις ὡς τάχιστα.
ἀτὰρ φανεῖ ποῖός τις ὤν, ἢν ταῦτα παρακελεύῃ;

The future tense makes the most sense ('what certain sort of man will he show himself to be?'), but in this case it can only be the 3rd sg active - but, unless I'm mistaken, the active of φαινω can't mean 'show oneself to be...', so I don't think it can be this (unless there is an ἐαυτον missing or something?). The only other thing I can think is that it's actually the 2nd sg middle - is this correct? The translations I've read put it as the 3rd sg, so I'm really not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

polemistes
Textkit Neophyte

Re: What is the voice and tense of φανει here? Wasps line 53

Post by polemistes »

You are thinking of the expression φαίνω in passive (not middle, I think) + participle, meaning "to be manifest..." But that doesn't mean you can't use the active meaning of φαίνω "to reveal" or "to exhibit" with a participle. So "φαίνω ὤν " would be something like "I reveal that I am ..."

Phoebus Apollo
Textkit Neophyte

Re: What is the voice and tense of φανει here? Wasps line 53

Post by Phoebus Apollo »

polemistes wrote:You are thinking of the expression φαίνω in passive (not middle, I think) + participle, meaning "to be manifest..." But that doesn't mean you can't use the active meaning of φαίνω "to reveal" or "to exhibit" with a participle. So "φαίνω ὤν " would be something like "I reveal that I am ..."
Thank you!