Textkit Logo

How to translate this phrase? Lysias 1.21

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

How to translate this phrase? Lysias 1.21

Postby Phoebus Apollo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:46 pm

εἶπον ἐγώ, ‘ὅπως τοίνυν ταῦτα μηδεὶς ἀνθρώπων πεύσεται: εἰ δέ μή, οὐδέν σοι κύριον ἔσται τῶν πρὸς ἔμ᾽ ὡμολογημένων...'

I rendered it 'none of the things agreed with me will hold true/be valid', but the προς is throwing me off...I'm not sure if this translation is okay, or it's better to say 'to me' ('agreed to me' or maybe 'acknowledged to me')?

I think he's talking about their agreement that if she told him the truth about Eratosthenes, he wouldn't torture her, that's why I think 'agreed with me' works better. A commentary I read said 'acknowledged to to me' is how it should be translated, but this doesn't make much sense to me... Any help would be appreciated!
Phoebus Apollo
Textkit Neophyte

Re: How to translate this phrase? Lysias 1.21

Postby Barry Hofstetter » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:34 am

I think you are right. We would expect the dative after ὁμολογέω, but πρὸς ἐμέ carries the sense more emphatically.
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
The Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
βρεκεκεκὲξ κοάξ κοάξ
Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: How to translate this phrase? Lysias 1.21

Postby Phoebus Apollo » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:30 am

Barry Hofstetter wrote:I think you are right. We would expect the dative after ὁμολογέω, but πρὸς ἐμέ carries the sense more emphatically.

Thank you!
Phoebus Apollo
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek