Textkit Logo

What verb does ὑπο go with here? Lysias 1.11

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

What verb does ὑπο go with here? Lysias 1.11

Postby Phoebus Apollo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:05 am

προϊόντος δὲ τοῦ χρόνου, ὦ ἄνδρες, ἧκον μὲν ἀπροσδοκήτως ἐξ ἀγροῦ, μετὰ δὲ τὸ δεῖπνον τὸ παιδίον ἐβόα καὶ ἐδυσκόλαινεν ὑπὸ τῆς θεραπαίνης ἐπίτηδες λυπούμενον, ἵνα ταῦτα ποιῇ: ὁ γὰρ ἄνθρωπος ἔνδον ἦν

It seems to me to go with the participle λυπούμενον - 'it was irritated, being distressed (better: 'because it was being distressed') on purpose by the maid'; ie ὑπο + gen to express agent with a passive participle.

I'm not sure though if it actually might go with ἐδυσκολαινεν, and, if so, I guess it would have to be translated as 'was irritated because of the maid, being distressed on purpose'.

I know ultimately it doesn't make much difference, but help would be appreciated!
Phoebus Apollo
Textkit Neophyte

Re: What verb does ὑπο go with here? Lysias 1.11

Postby jeidsath » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:57 pm

I think that ὑπὸ τῆς θεραπαίνης ἐπίτηδες λυπούμενον all goes together, as in your first suggestion.
Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

μὴ δ’ οὕτως ἀγαθός περ ἐὼν θεοείκελ’ Ἀχιλλεῦ
κλέπτε νόῳ, ἐπεὶ οὐ παρελεύσεαι οὐδέ με πείσεις.
jeidsath
Administrator

Postby Phoebus Apollo » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:12 pm

jeidsath wrote:I think that ὑπὸ τῆς θεραπαίνης ἐπίτηδες λυπούμενον all goes together, as in your first suggestion.

Thanks!
Phoebus Apollo
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Barry Hofstetter » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:18 pm

jeidsath wrote:I think that ὑπὸ τῆς θεραπαίνης ἐπίτηδες λυπούμενον all goes together, as in your first suggestion.

Agreed. ὑπό used of agency with the passive makes it almost impossible here to take it any other way, and clues the reader that λυπούμενον is certainly understood as a passive here. "Because of the maid" would probably be διὰ τὴν θερἀπαιναν...
N.E. Barry Hofstetter
The Jack M. Barrack Hebrew Academy
βρεκεκεκὲξ κοάξ κοάξ
Barry Hofstetter
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Phoebus Apollo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:32 pm

Barry Hofstetter wrote:

Agreed. ὑπό used of agency with the passive makes it almost impossible here to take it any other way, and clues the reader that λυπούμενον is certainly understood as a passive here. "Because of the maid" would probably be διὰ τὴν θερἀπαιναν...

thank you
Phoebus Apollo
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek