Textkit Logo

What's the difference between ἐφανθην and ἐφανην?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

What's the difference between ἐφανθην and ἐφανην?

Postby Phoebus Apollo » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:40 pm

They're both aorist passives, but I'm not sure what the difference is between them. By grammar book (Morwood) puts 'intr' (instransitive) next to ἐφανην but doesn't put anything next to ἐφανθην.

I was trying to write the sentence 'the sun appeared' in Greek, and North and Hillard says ἐφανη should be used; is it incorrect to use ἐφανθην?

The only thing I can think is that ἐφανθην means 'I have been revealed', whereas ἐφανην means 'I appeared'? But surely that makes them both intransitive? I'm struggling in general how to translate passive forms (such as the perfect middle/passive, aorist passive and future passive) of middle verbs...I assume you treat them like Latin deponent verbs, and translate them as active?
Phoebus Apollo
Textkit Neophyte

Re: What's the difference between ἐφανθην and ἐφανην?

Postby Timothée » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:43 pm

1st and 2nd passive aorists, respectively.
Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Hylander » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:59 pm

ἐφανθην means 'I have been revealed', whereas ἐφανην means 'I appeared'? But surely that makes them both intransitive?

No, it doesn't. "I have been revealed" is a true passive of a transitive verb. The grammatical subject is the object of the action. "I appeared" is intransitive.
Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Postby Phoebus Apollo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:19 pm

Hylander wrote:
ἐφανθην means 'I have been revealed', whereas ἐφανην means 'I appeared'? But surely that makes them both intransitive?

No, it doesn't. "I have been revealed" is a true passive of a transitive verb. The grammatical subject is the object of the action. "I appeared" is intransitive.

Thank you! That makes sense now
Phoebus Apollo
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek