Textkit Logo

Arnold's Greek course, Ollendorff, and Fraser's

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

Arnold's Greek course, Ollendorff, and Fraser's

Postby jeidsath » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:52 pm

I discovered Frädersdorff + Arnold + Browne's English-Greek Lexicon due to a recommendation of Blackie in the appendix to his Colloquial Greek course. Thomas Kerchever Arnold (not the great Thomas Arnold Tom Brown's School Days fame) also wrote a "Practical Introduction to Greek Prose Composition" following the Ollendorff method, as well as a "Practical Introduction to Greek Accidence." I know that some people have started threads looking for an Ollendorff method applied to Greek from time to time.

However, Arnold was also the subject of a fairly cruel article in Fraser's magazine of February 1853:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id= ... up;seq=177

According to the article, the only useful work Arnold ever did was that first Practical Introduction, and he was mostly out to make a fast buck by copying the Germans. The author of the attack seems to have been John William Donaldson.
Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

μὴ δ’ οὕτως ἀγαθός περ ἐὼν θεοείκελ’ Ἀχιλλεῦ
κλέπτε νόῳ, ἐπεὶ οὐ παρελεύσεαι οὐδέ με πείσεις.
jeidsath
Administrator

Re: Arnold's Greek course, Ollendorff, and Fraser's

Postby bedwere » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:49 am

I'd love if somebody could make the Frädersdorff et al. English-Greek lexicon searchable. Did Arnold challenge Donaldson to duel? :D
bedwere
Global Moderator

Return to Learning Greek