K.-G. on Perseus

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Tugodum
Textkit Enthusiast

K.-G. on Perseus

Post by Tugodum »

Sometimes I come across references like K.-G. ii 51, which I take to be to the page 51 of the second volume. Yet on Perseus I find only a continuous numeration of chapters (for both volumes?): http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... ythp%3D511
How can one find there what is referred in the way I indicated?
Thanks in advance.

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: K.-G. on Perseus

Post by Timothée »

Both Kühner—Blass and Kühner—Gerth were originally publishes in two volumes, so four in total. If you buy them today, however, as new (reprographic) books from the WBG, K—B will be in one and K—G in another volume, the latter having also the Index locorum. In total they will comprehend ca. 2900 pages.

Tugodum
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Tugodum »

Am not ready to buy.... It's a shame if references to original edition are useless....

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothée »

They are not. The division into paragraphs runs through the whole of K—B on the one hand, and through the whole of K—G on the other hand.

Tugodum
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Tugodum »

In practical terms, where should I look for K.-G. ii 51 on Perseus?

Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Timothée »

I was mistaken: the paragraphs run through the whole of Kühner—Blass and continue from there through the whole of Kühner—Gerth.

Your reference might be to the page 51 of the second volume of Kühner—Gerth. If so, I don’t know if or how clearly the pagination is marked in Perseus. What kind of subject matter do you expect your reference to treat? Page 51 of the 2nd volume of K—G discusses participles used with Verba sentiendi.

By the bye, it’d appear that Perseus does not have the 2nd volume of Kühner—Blass.

Tugodum
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Tugodum »

Timothée wrote:Page 51 of the 2nd volume of K—G discusses participles used with Verba sentiendi.
Yes, that's exactly what I've been currently looking for. But I'm also wondering whether there is a general method to locate such references when needed.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Tugodum
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Tugodum »

Cool. Thanks a lot!