"abs." in LSJ

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

"abs." in LSJ

Post by jeidsath »

κινδυνεύω:...abs., make a venture, take a risk, Hdt.3.69, Ar.Eq.1204
Does "abs." mean absolute? The Herodotus quotation:

ἀντιπέμπει πρὸς ταῦτα ἡ Φαιδύμη φαμένη κινδυνεύσειν μεγάλως

I notice that Smyth has a section on the "absolute infinitive," which seems to describe this usage.

But here is another example that appears to be an intransitive usage:
κρατέω:...abs., rule, hold sway, “Ἤλιδα . . , ὅθι κρατέουσιν Ἐπειοί” Od.13.275,15.298
ἢ εἰς Ἤλιδα δῖαν, ὅθι κρατέουσιν Ἐπειοί.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

rmedinap
Textkit Neophyte

Re: "abs." in LSJ

Post by rmedinap »

Yes, abs. means "absolute, absolutely". It's in the V. General List of Abbreviations.

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Post by Hylander »

I think LSJ uses the term "abs." to mean "intransitive," i.e., without an object.

ἀντιπέμπει πρὸς ταῦτα ἡ Φαιδύμη φαμένη κινδυνεύσειν μεγάλως. -- This an example of an intransitive use of κινδυνευω: "Phaidyme responds/responded [by letter or messenger] to this saying she will/would undergo great risk" if she felt the ear of the man sleeping with her. It's not what Smyth means by "absolute infinitive." See sec. 2012:
2012. Certain idiomatic infinitives are used absolutely in parenthetical phrases to limit the application of a single expression or of the entire sentence.

a. Verbs of Saying.—ὡς ἔπος εἰπεῖν, ὡς εἰπεῖν so to speak, almost; (ὡς) ἁπλῶς εἰπεῖν, ὡς συνελόντι (1497) εἰπεῖν, ὡς (ἐν βραχεῖ or) συντόμως εἰπεῖν to speak briefly, concisely; ὡς ἐπὶ πᾶν εἰπεῖν, τὸ σύμπαν εἰπεῖν speaking generally; σχεδὸν εἰπεῖν so to say, almost (paene dixerim); σὺν θεῷ εἰπεῖν in God's name; and so ὡς with λέγειν, φράζειν, εἰρῆσθαι, as ὡς ἐν τύπῳ εἰρῆσθαι in general. Examples: ἀληθές γε ὡς ἔπος εἰπεῖν οὐδὲν εἰρήκα_σιν not one word of truth, I may say, did they utter P. A. 17a, ἀγαθὸν μὲν ἁπλῶς εἰπεῖν οὐδὲν γέγονε τῇ πόλει in a word the State gained no advantage Dinarchus 1.33.

b. ὡς (ἔπος) εἰπεῖν is often used to limit too strict an application of a general statement, especially πᾶς or οὐδείς. Thus, πάντες ὡς ἔπος εἰπεῖν nearly every one, οὐδεὶς ὡς ἔπος εἰπεῖν almost no one. It is thus used like paene dixerim; rarely, like ut ita dicam, to soften the strength of a metaphor.

c. Especially common is the absolute εἶναι in ἑκὼν willingly, intentionally, if you can help it, usually in negative or quasi-negative statements (ἑκών may be inflected). Also in τὸ κατὰ τοῦτον (ἐπὶ τούτῳ) εἶναι as far as he is concerned, ὡς . . . εἶναι as far as . . . is concerned, τὸ νῦν εἶναι at present. Examples: ““οὐδὲ ξένοις ἑκὼν εἶναι γέλωτα παρέχεις” nor do you intentionally cause strangers to laugh” X. C. 2.2.15, ““ἑκοῦσα εἶναι οὐκ ἀπολείπεται” it is not willingly separated” P. Phae. 252a, τό γε ἐπ᾽ ἐκεῖνον εἶναι ἐσώθης (ἄν) so far, at least, as it depended on him you would have been saved L. 13.58.

d. Other expressions: ἐμοὶ δοκεῖν, ὡς ἐμοὶ δοκεῖν, ὡς ἐμοὶ κρῖναι as it seems to me, in my opinion, (ὡς) εἰκάσαι to make a guess, (ὡς) συμβάλλειν to compare, (ὡς) ἀκοῦσαι to the ear, ὡς ὑμομνῆσαι to recall the matter, ὅσον γέ μ᾽ εἰδέναι as far as I know, etc.; ὀλίγου δεῖν, μι_κροῦ δεῖν almost, all but (δεῖν may be omitted, 1399). Examples: ὁ γὰρ Κτήσιππος ἔτυχε πόρρω καθεζόμενος τοῦ Κλεινίου, ἐμοὶ δοκεῖν for Ctesippus, it seems to me, happened to be sitting at a distance from Clinias P. Eu. 274b, ““μι_κροῦ δεῖν τρία τάλαντα” almost three talents” D. 27.29.

e. Some of these absolute infinitives may be explained by reference to the idea of purpose (2008) or result. Thus, συνελόντι εἰπεῖν for one compressing the matter to speak (cp. ut paucis dicam), μι_κροῦ δεῖν so as to lack little. Others recall the adverbial accusative (1606); cp. ἐμοὶ δοκεῖν with γνώμην ἐμήν.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... 99.04.0007
Bill Walderman

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

ἀντιπέμπει πρὸς ταῦτα ἡ Φαιδύμη φαμένη κινδυνεύσειν μεγάλως. -- This an example of an intransitive use of κινδυνευω: "Phaidyme responds/responded [by letter or messenger] to this saying she will/would undergo great risk" if she felt the ear of the man sleeping with her.
I see, without reading the context I had been confused, and thought that she ran the risk by sending the letter. The φαμένη makes my interpretation impossible anyway.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

I think LSJ uses the term "abs." to mean "intransitive," i.e., without an object.
But LSJ also uses the term “intr.”—for intransitive uses of verbs that also have transitive uses? κινδυνευειν has no transitive use, and labeling this use “abs.” means it’s used without specifying what she’ll be in danger of. She’ll be in great danger, period.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

In earlier versions of the LSJ it is given as "absol." In the κινδυνεύω entry, "absol." in 1b is somehow in contrast with 1a which describes an intransitive (I think) use of κινδυνεύω being used with prepositions. Here is the earlier edition (posted here to illuminate the meaning of the current entry, not to suggest that earlier is better):
1a. To be daring, face danger, run risk, κ. πρὸς πολλούς, πρὸς τοὺς πολεμίους, Hdt.4.11, X.Mem.3.3.14; κ. εἰς τὴν Αἴγυπτον to venture thither, Pherecr. Ἄγρ. 5.
1b. absol. to make a venture, take the risk, do a daring thing, Hdt. 3. 69, Ar. Eq. 1204, Thuc. 1. 20., 2. 39:--also, to be in danger, Arist. Eth. N. 4. 3, 23, etc.; of a sick person, Hipp. Aph. 1261; κινδυνεύοντος τοῦ χωρίου the post being in peril, Thuc. 4. 8; ὁ κινδυνεύων τόπος the place of danger, Polyb. 3. 115, 6.