pregnant sense?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Bert
Textkit Zealot

pregnant sense?

Post by Bert »

Sometimes in a lexicon (usualy in entries on adverbs or prepositions) it explains the meaning of a word "In pregnant sense." What does that mean?

Paul
Textkit Zealot

Post by Paul »

Hi Bert,

See Smyth #1659 for constructio praegnans.

Cordially,

Paul

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Well, I'll be.
There is even more in that book than I thought.
Thanks.

Agrippa
Textkit Member

Post by Agrippa »

Now I'm curious. Could someone summarize this? I don't own smyth.

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

It's when the author makes a mistake :D

When the author has two sentences in his mind and mixes them up we have a constructio praegnans. Since I am very bad at finding examples of myself I'll steal one from a book I own.

Ἀλκιβιάδης μετά Μαντιθέου ἀπέδ?ασαν

Consider the following poor example

Tom accompanied by George leave

It's
Tom and George leave
Tome accompanied by George leaves
mixed up together.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I only just learned about it so I may be wrong but the way you described it is not the way I understand it.
Using your example I would say that the pregnant sense of leave (with a preposition) would mean that George and Tom left so now are gone.

euphony
Textkit Neophyte

Post by euphony »

Agrippa wrote:I don't own smyth.
You do now! :D

http://www.textkit.com/learn/ID/142/author_id/63/

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Here is the section Paul mentioned. It can be found at http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... %3D%231854
§1659. Constructio Praegnans.--a. A verb of motion is often used with a preposition with the dative to anticipate the rest that follows the action of the verb: e)n tw=| potamw=| e)/peson they fell (into and were) in the river X. Ages. 1.32. This use is common with tiqe/nai, i(dru/_ein, kaqista/nai , etc., and with tenses of completed action which imply rest; as oi( e)n th=| nh/sw| a)/ndrej diabebhko/tej the men who had crossed to (and were in) the island T. 7.71.

b. A verb of rest is often followed by a preposition with the accusative to denote motion previous to or following upon the action of the verb: parh=san ei)j Sa/rdeij (they came to Sardis and were in the city) they arrived at Sardis X. A. 1.2.2, e)j Ku_?rh/nhn e)sw/qhsan they were saved by reaching Cyrene T. 1.110 , h(|re/qh presbeuth\j ei)j Lakedai/mona he was chosen ambassador (to go) to Lacedaemon X. H. 2.2.17. Cp. 1692. 1. a

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Post by IreneY »

OK, I may have mixed up the terms. Isn't it symfyrsis (sp?) ?

Didymus
Textkit Fan

Post by Didymus »

IreneY wrote:OK, I may have mixed up the terms. Isn't it symfyrsis (sp?) ?
The general term that I am familiar with for the usage you cite is constructio ad sensum.

Helma
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Helma »

Bert wrote:Here is the section Paul mentioned. It can be found at http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... %3D%231854
§1659. Constructio Praegnans.--a. A verb of motion is often used with a preposition with the dative to anticipate the rest that follows the action of the verb: e)n tw=| potamw=| e)/peson they fell (into and were) in the river X. Ages. 1.32. This use is common with tiqe/nai, i(dru/_ein, kaqista/nai , etc., and with tenses of completed action which imply rest; as oi( e)n th=| nh/sw| a)/ndrej diabebhko/tej the men who had crossed to (and were in) the island T. 7.71.

b. A verb of rest is often followed by a preposition with the accusative to denote motion previous to or following upon the action of the verb: parh=san ei)j Sa/rdeij (they came to Sardis and were in the city) they arrived at Sardis X. A. 1.2.2, e)j Ku_?rh/nhn e)sw/qhsan they were saved by reaching Cyrene T. 1.110 , h(|re/qh presbeuth\j ei)j Lakedai/mona he was chosen ambassador (to go) to Lacedaemon X. H. 2.2.17. Cp. 1692. 1. a
Many more examples, of different types, in Kühner-Gerth, pp 540-547. Search for "prägnante Konstruktion"