Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon (Liddell and Scott's)

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
spiritualfields
Textkit Neophyte

Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon (Liddell and Scott's)

Post by spiritualfields »

Is there a site that explains to beginners how to use the lexicon, something along the lines of a "Dummies Guide To Understanding The Greek-English Lexicon"? In other words, an explanation of how the words are laid out and the significance of the added forms (some in parentheses, some not) that are interspersed thoughout the definitions (if "definition" is the right word for what is to the right of the entries)

Or should I forget that this book even exists until I get more adept? I'm very early in my learning now, only in Unit Three of Mastronarde's Introduction To Attic Greek.

vir litterarum
Textkit Zealot

Post by vir litterarum »

Liddell and Scott's covers every major dialect of Greek, so, if you're learning Attic, you will receive a lot of extraneous information. I would wait to begin a serious vocabulary study until after you have finished that curriculum. In addition, you should also look Smyth's grammar and its exquisite and thorough elucidation of the formation of the principal parts of the verb and noun stems. After you have done these things, then I would pick up Liddell and Scott's.

spiritualfields
Textkit Neophyte

Post by spiritualfields »

Liddell and Scott's covers every major dialect of Greek, so, if you're learning Attic, you will receive a lot of extraneous information. I would wait to begin a serious vocabulary study until after you have finished that curriculum. In addition, you should also look Smyth's grammar and its exquisite and thorough elucidation of the formation of the principal parts of the verb and noun stems.
Thanks. I'm going to take up your advice, and just downloaded the Smyth book. I like the Mastronarde book so far but the information is presented in an extremely concise, meticulous format, with an instructor expected to flesh out the material. It's amazing how much information he packs into such a small space. I'll use the Smyth book as an amplfying/reinforcing source. I definitely want to get the grammar down.

Beatus Pistor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Beatus Pistor »

Even when you have finished the beginning curriculum, there are lots of ancient greek texts which include a basic vocabulary attached with useful grammatical remarks, so you can build some basic vocabulary before even approaching the archaic L&S.

viewtopic.php?t=6407
viewtopic.php?t=6514
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/news/dp/2006100203
Chadwick J, Lexicographica Graeca, Oxford: Clarendon Press 1996