Textkit Logo

perfect stem of verbs with prefixes

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.

perfect stem of verbs with prefixes

Postby godingly » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:08 pm

I'm trying to write the basic forms ἐπιθυμέω (ἐπιθυμῶ)
Here's what I came up with:
perfect prae. ind. 1st sg. act. - ἐπιτεθυμηκα
perfect prae. ind. 1st sg. mid-pass - ἐπιτεθυμημαι
Also, I'm having trouble with the aorist passive:
aor. pass. ind. 1st sg. - ἐπεθυμηθην

Perseus recognizes the first form, but not the following two. Did I make a mistake? Are there special rules for forming perfect stem for verbs with prefixes? I have looked at two textbooks I own, and couldn't figure out.
godingly
Textkit Neophyte

Re: perfect stem of verbs with prefixes

Postby bedwere » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:58 pm

Some forms are non-existent. Beside Perseus, this is a useful site to check http://www.lexigram.gr/lex/arch/
bedwere
Global Moderator

Postby jeidsath » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:28 pm

Perseus is often strange about forms. Look up ἐλυόμην (from λύω!) for an example. Besides being in all of the grammar books, the imperfect passive of λύω is attested in Acts 27:41.

περιπεσόντες δὲ εἰς τόπον διθάλασσον ἐπέκειλαν τὴν ναῦν, καὶ ἡ μὲν πρῷρα ἐρείσασα ἔμεινεν ἀσάλευτος, ἡ δὲ πρύμνα ἐλύετο ὑπὸ τῆς βίας.

However, from Perseus: "Sorry, no information was found for ἐλυόμην."
Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

μὴ δ’ οὕτως ἀγαθός περ ἐὼν θεοείκελ’ Ἀχιλλεῦ
κλέπτε νόῳ, ἐπεὶ οὐ παρελεύσεαι οὐδέ με πείσεις.
jeidsath
Administrator

Postby Pros » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:40 pm

jeidsath wrote:

Perseus is often strange about forms. Look up ἐλυόμην (from λύω!) for an example. Besides being in all of the grammar books, the imperfect passive of λύω is attested in Acts 27:41.

περιπεσόντες δὲ εἰς τόπον διθάλασσον ἐπέκειλαν τὴν ναῦν, καὶ ἡ μὲν πρῷρα ἐρείσασα ἔμεινεν ἀσάλευτος, ἡ δὲ πρύμνα ἐλύετο ὑπὸ τῆς βίας.

However, from Perseus: "Sorry, no information was found for ἐλυόμην."

I had no problem finding the first person singular imperfect passive for λύω. You just had to
look for the unaugmented form which is λυόμην instead of ἐλυόμην. I don't know why it can only be found that way but maybe someone with more knowledge can illuminate us.
Pros
Textkit Member

Postby mwh » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:43 pm

Since επιθυμῶ takes genitive, you’re not likely to find the passive. Verbs that don’t take accusative objects are tricky when you need a passive. (Plato has passive τα επιθυμούμενα, however, "objects of desire.")

But no, the forms of verbs with prefixes are no different from the simple forms.

You can expect forms of –έω contract verbs to be consistent (for the most part). So your forms are technically correct (e.g. επεθυμήθην like e.g. εφιληθην from φιλέω), even if actual Greek has no use for them. You might try e.g. forms of ενθυμέομαι instead of επι-, aor. ενεθυμήθην (passive form, middle meaning). That actually exists.

Never rely on Perseus.
mwh
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek