Neuter Animal Names

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
derekgreer
Textkit Neophyte

Neuter Animal Names

Post by derekgreer »

I'm looking for non-diminutive neuter animal names in Ancient Greek, preferably attested in Koine-era writings. The only examples I'm aware of are τὸ πρόβατον and τὸ πετινόν. There is also τὸ ἑρπετόν, but that's more general than I'm looking for. Ive had a hard time locating further examples online. Anyone know of other examples?

Scribo
Global Moderator

Re: Neuter Animal Names

Post by Scribo »

If you want Hellenistic era you might be better suited looking for examples where a classical style termination is replaced by a simpler one, often third declensions. So classical όφις (masc) will become ὀφίδιον (neuter) as some point. Though that's almost certainly later than you're looking for and I'm not sure that form is attested (but it must have existed in order to get to medieval Greek φίδι).

Anyway, if that stuff counts, I suggest looking in places where phonological and morphological changes must have rendered neuters.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

The only one I can think of is μῆλον, but that is not really the name of a specific animal, but rather denotes a type.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

I took a look through Orbis Pictus and only found neuter types. No animals.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

κίναδος (-εος) which, apparently, was a Sicilian word for fox.

I know I encountered it in Menander but I can't remember the context - probably in the sense of cunning rogue.
λονδον

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

And conveniently close to κίναιδος, a fact exploited by Demosthenes as well as Aristophanes.