Spiritual assimilation

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Lavrentivs
Textkit Fan

Spiritual assimilation

Post by Lavrentivs »

It seems to be an orthographic convention that smooth stops followed by aspirated vowels become rough, e.g., ἔπειτ’ ὁ πατήρ would become ἔπειθ’ ὁ πατήρ. I assume that this is because in the classical pronunciation the former would sound just like the second. But why is there no similar rule in the opposite direction? Why does εἴθ' ἐξεκόπην not become εἴθ' ἑξεκόπην?

Hylander
Textkit Zealot

Re: Spiritual assimilation

Post by Hylander »

I assume you mean: "Why does εἴθ' ἐξεκόπην not become εἴτ' ἑξεκόπην?".

The best I (or anyone else) can do is to give you a tautologous answer: because the Greeks pronounced φ, θ and χ as aspirated consonants regardless whether these sounds occurred before a rough or smooth breathing. There's no reason why they should be pronounced differently when followed by a word beginning with a smooth breathing. On the other hand, there is a reason why π, τ and κ should acquire aspiration and be pronounced as φ, θ and χ when followed by a rough breathing, namely, when joined to the following aspirated vowel, they too acquired aspiration.
Bill Walderman

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

There’s orthographic convention, and there’s phonetic reality. We write επειτ(α) ο πατηρ as επειθ’ ὁ πατηρ, with double aspiration. (Whereas we write εἴθ(ε) ἐξεκόπην with single: I take it this was Laurentius’ point.) I don’t imagine that’s phonetically accurate. There’s either aspiration or there’s not, and in these cases there is.

polemistes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by polemistes »

My not so educated guess is that in the case of ἔπειθ’ ὁ πατήρ, we are actually continuing the ancient spelling: ΕΠΕΙΘΟΠΑΤΗΡ. The ancient spelling of εἴθ' ἑξεκόπην didn't include any breathing marks, so there is no reason to introduce a convention of introducing a rough breathing after an aspirated plosive.