Suggestions for new language name, Please

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
James LD
Textkit Neophyte

Suggestions for new language name, Please

Post by James LD »

Hello to all. I have discovered an ancient alphabet and deciphered quite a few artifacts that used that language. One of the tablets is from the area of northern Greece, but thousands of years prior to it being assembled as a nation. I have the honor of naming the discovery, and would like to use an Ancient Greek name form, but have no knowledge of this language and could use your kind help.

It's a European syllabary alphabet, used by tribal or neighboring community groups from Russia
to Scotland, and down to Serbia and Greece.

I was thinking of something along the lines of :
ethnos - in the sense of a people of the same race or nationality who share a distinctive culture
and graphó, for : I write it is written, it stands written
However, I am not sure how to join these together, and would also like some acknowledgement
for the concept of Europe included, or Paleo if possible.

Could you please offer any suggestions? I plan to publish shortly, and this may very
well become a famous word attached to the alphabet. Thank you, James L.D.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: Suggestions for new language name, Please

Post by mwh »

A new ancient alphabet not only discovered but deciphered too. Congratulations, James L.D., I'm sure you'll deserve all the honor you'll receive.

Victor
Textkit Fan

Post by Victor »

James LD wrote:Hello to all. I have discovered an ancient alphabet and deciphered quite a few artifacts that used that language. ...I was thinking of something along the lines of :
ethnos - in the sense of a people of the same race or nationality who share a distinctive culture
However, I am not sure how to join these together...Could you please offer any suggestions?
Phlyarian would be my suggestion.

James LD
Textkit Neophyte

Post by James LD »

mwh wrote:A new ancient alphabet not only discovered but deciphered too. Congratulations, James L.D., I'm sure you'll deserve all the honor you'll receive.

Thanks for your kind comments. I'm very happy to finally prove that the first alphabet was a product of Europe.

James LD
Textkit Neophyte

Post by James LD »

Victor wrote:
James LD wrote:Hello to all. I have discovered an ancient alphabet and deciphered quite a few artifacts that used that language. ...I was thinking of something along the lines of :
However, I am not sure how to join these together...Could you please offer any suggestions?
Phlyarian would be my suggestion.
Thanks for the suggestion - could you provide the meaning or an etymology ?

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

James LD wrote:It's a European syllabary alphabet, used by tribal or neighboring community groups from Russia to Scotland, and down to Serbia and Greece.
It sounds to me like you have discovered the hitherto unattested Western Nostratic.

James LD
Textkit Neophyte

Post by James LD »

Markos wrote:
James LD wrote:It's a European syllabary alphabet, used by tribal or neighboring community groups from Russia to Scotland, and down to Serbia and Greece.
It sounds to me like you have discovered the hitherto unattested Western Nostratic.
I have only been able to locate examples in Europe - nothing from India, Africa or the Americas. It's not related to Indo-European, and dates to about 20,000 BP.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

James, Are you sure it’s human? I have discovered that the brainpower of the European woolly rhinoceros, now alas extinct, exceeded that of some of today’s humans.

James LD
Textkit Neophyte

Post by James LD »

mwh wrote:James, Are you sure it’s human? I have discovered that the brainpower of the European woolly rhinoceros, now alas extinct, exceeded that of some of today’s humans.
Today's human yes. But look deeper and you will find that the average IQ worldwide, today, is
in the range of 101; yet based on the size of the brains of Cro-Magnon man, it averaged 140, and
Neandertal even higher - as much as 160! I have to agree that I have noted a sort of laziness or
perhaps just dullness, on the part of some of our modern scientists - more apt to publish yet another
version of the same drivel rather than look deeper into new areas. Any suggestions for a Greek
name?

polemistes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by polemistes »

This is so exciting! I understand that this finding isn't published in any of the proper publications yet, or else there would have been a lot of coverage in mainstream media. I look forward to this, and I wish you luck with the road to publication. My suggestion for a Greek name of the language would be something in the line of ἡ ἀνούσιος γραφή, reflecting the ontological status of the script. Anousic script could be the anglicized form. I don't know how far the deciphering of the script has come, but the official name of a language should of course correspond to how the language refers to itself. A name containing the whole concept of an ancient written language common to a single people spread over most of Europe is not easy, but it could be something like: παλεοπανευροπογρφική.

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Post by Paul Derouda »

Phlyarian seems a valid suggestion to me, as it encompasses the idea of first hesitant steps towards human intelligence — if indeed your artifacts are human. But are you sure deciphering those writings is prudent? There are some ancient writers (e.g. Abdul Alhazred) who suggest that not all ancient civilizations were benevolent.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

James LD wrote:
Victor wrote:Phlyarian would be my suggestion.
From φλύαρος, which is presumably how it would sound to one until it is fully and convincingly deciphered.

You could also call Phlyarian Phylian, the language of the φῦλον who presumably spoke it.

You could also call it Phyllian, the language of the φύλλα, the ῥίζα presumably being pre-Babel Adamic.

James LD
Textkit Neophyte

Post by James LD »

Markos wrote:
James LD wrote:
Victor wrote:Phlyarian would be my suggestion.
From φλύαρος, which is presumably how it would sound to one until it is fully and convincingly deciphered.

You could also call Phlyarian Phylian, the language of the φῦλον who presumably spoke it.

You could also call it Phyllian, the language of the φύλλα, the ῥίζα presumably being pre-Babel Adamic.

Thanks to both - I really appreciate it. I will let you know the 'winner' and if you don't mind, I will
say - name selection by XXXX and XXXX of the textkit.com greek-latin forum.

Yes, it is pre-Babel, in fact it actually serves as proof of the Bible, although that was not
my original reason for looking into the subject. After using this alphabet, circa 20,000 BC,
they used it until about 6,000 BC and after that it was lost, for unknown reasons. So it does
kind of support the "they all spoke the same language and then they were dispersed" theme,
doesn't it? In the same discovery, I found a perfect drawing of the constellation Orion,
with absolutely all of the stars in alignment, dated at 16,000 BC by our scientists, and it
includes the cluster swarm that is located at the bottom center of Orion. This will be a
history changer. James (Jim) Latimer Delmon.

James LD
Textkit Neophyte

Post by James LD »

polemistes wrote:This is so exciting! I understand that this finding isn't published in any of the proper publications yet, or else there would have been a lot of coverage in mainstream media. I look forward to this, and I wish you luck with the road to publication. My suggestion for a Greek name of the language would be something in the line of ἡ ἀνούσιος γραφή, reflecting the ontological status of the script. Anousic script could be the anglicized form. I don't know how far the deciphering of the script has come, but the official name of a language should of course correspond to how the language refers to itself. A name containing the whole concept of an ancient written language common to a single people spread over most of Europe is not easy, but it could be something like: παλεοπανευροπογρφική.

Why Anousic? I see that Prof Grayling wrote, "I use the word 'Anousic' as a generic term for
'religious'. It is a neologism suggested by ancient Greek to connote 'mindless', 'unreasoning', 'illogical'.

This has nothing to do with religion and believe me the authors and users were not mindless or
illogical. Could you explain your suggestion? The language does not refer to itself, at least
in the twelve items I have deciphered to date. I have experienced some problems in obtaining
raw data for translating more items - most of the good stuff is buried in a Museum or kicked under the dirt,
based on the comments from Archaeologists such as "well this might even be the beginnings of
a language, but we know that we don't want to go there or talk further about this" . And all because
it does not fit their idea of history. That's the reason I stubbornly stuck to my work and deciphered
it, after three years of effort, because I think that we should go there, and we deserve to know.
Jim L.D.

polemistes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by polemistes »

I had no knowledge that Anousic has been used in English before now. After searching, it seems Prof Grayling is the only one who has used it to connote 'religious'. The connotations of 'mindless', 'unreasoning' and 'illogical' comes from the possibility of a pun, since the word can be read as either a-nousic or an-ousic, the first being irrational or nonsense, while the second, which is the meaning I intended, I thought could give a feeling of the vast distance between this language and our reality. Now that I understand that you have deciphered it, it might not be as fitting as I thought.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Jim, Thanks for reminding us of the high IQ of Neanderthals. Accordingly I withdraw my suggestion of rhinoceratidian (though the European woolly rhinoceros did make very versatile use of its horn, not exclusively for pygistic relations with phlyarian humans), and I propose that the language is in fact Neanderthal. Unfortunately that already has a name, so neither of us can have the honor of naming it.

James LD
Textkit Neophyte

Post by James LD »

mwh wrote:Jim, Thanks for reminding us of the high IQ of Neanderthals. Accordingly I withdraw my suggestion of rhinoceratidian (though the European woolly rhinoceros did make very versatile use of its horn, not exclusively for pygistic relations with phlyarian humans), and I propose that the language is in fact Neanderthal. Unfortunately that already has a name, so neither of us can have the honor of naming it.

I too thought that the language had its origins with the Neandertal, at first.