Geoffrey Horrocks and his learned book

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Psammatichos
Textkit Neophyte

Geoffrey Horrocks and his learned book

Post by Psammatichos »

Hello fellow Greek-lovers!
Maybe I'm posting this in the wrong place (in which case you must excuse me as a newbie) but I was just wondering if any of you have a copy of Geoffrey Horrocks: Greek. A History of the Language and its Speakers? I'm supposed to purchase it for the coming semester but it seems that it's more expensive than I imagined... The cheapest copy I could find, was at Amazon for 230 $, which is a bit much for me, being a poor student and all.
I'm sure that it's a very useful and interesting book but I would only make that sort of investment, if I know that it'll pay off throughout my entire time in college.
So can anyone tell me: Is it really worth that much?

chad
Textkit Zealot

Post by chad »

Psammatichos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Psammatichos »

Thank you very much!
That's a lifesaver. I didn't know the History Book Shop - it seems quite good.

Democritus
Textkit Fan

Re: Geoffrey Horrocks and his learned book

Post by Democritus »

Do your local public libraries have interlibrary loan?

The libraries here in California let you borrow books from other public libraries and from university libraries all over the state.

Psammatichos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Psammatichos »

Yes, that's possible at the public libraries but unfortunately not at the university libraries. Luckily, chad's link helped me out.