Need help translating a Hellenistic marble slab!

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
DitrasetMan
Textkit Neophyte

Need help translating a Hellenistic marble slab!

Post by DitrasetMan »

Good evening,

I was at an ancient history museum abroad and while there I saw a very interesting 12" long x 8" high x 2" thick marble slab. According to the museum it was a 3rd century (or so) Hellenistic storefront sign for a business that sold oil lamps. I was not allowed to take a picture, but I did write down the inscription on the marble. It was two lines of text, like this:

ΑΦΝΑΕΙΦΩΣΦΟΡΩ
ΛΑΜΓΩΝΓΑΕΙΤΟΣ

In the second line, it is possible that the second gamma identified above was actually a Pi. The first gamma in that line ends with the horizontal line at the top that does not then drop down, but the second gamma in that line looks the same, but it does have a small vertical line (connected to the top horizontal line) that drops down a bit (which is indicative of a Pi).

I wrote the letters exactly as they appear, but keep in mind, the words were not separated by spaces to make it easier.

Some people think that it translates to:

ΑΦΝΑΕΙΦΩΣΦΟΡΩ
"[person's name] the light-bringer"
ΛΑΜΓΩΝΓ(or Pi)ΑΕΙΤΟΣ
"maker of lamps."

I am happy to hear your thoughts!