Athenaze Study Group - Lesson 13α

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Athenaze Study Group - Lesson 13α

Post by jaihare »

Here’s the template for 13α of Athenaze.

Exercise 13α and 13β
You don’t need to write anything up for this exercise.

Exercise 13γ
Identify the tense and form of the underlined verbs, translate the verb, and then explain the use of the tense. Translate the sentence.

Exercise 13δ
Change the forms into the imperfect, future and aorist – keeping the same person and number. Be careful to note deponent forms.

Exercise 13ε

daivid
Administrator

Re: Athenaze Study Group - Lesson 13α

Post by daivid »

I only have Exercise γ done as yet but here it is.
Αθεναζε 13 α
Exercise γ
1) The boy was leading the oxen homeward and, falling, he hurt his foot.
The leading is imperfect because the leading is merely setting the scene and there is no implication that he completed the journey. The falling and the hurting of the foot are sudden semi-instantaneous events that follow one upon the other and as such are aorist.
2) A long time we stayed in the town but finally we set off for home.
The imperfect of stay implies a rather open ended time period. The aorist of set off males a clear break to the stay – we've left, not still packing or the like.
3) The maidens by the well stay chatting but on seeing the boys approaching they go away.
ἔμενον is imperfect as the maidens are happy to go on chatting indefinitely. ἰδοῦσαι is aorist as they clearly take in the approaching boys and immediately make a decision. the approaching is a present participle as there is no implication that they actually reach the well but the maidens do most certainly complete their departure so going-away is aorist. The seeing is a particle as it is a sub clause that sets the scene for their departure
4) the man for much time was waiting for his wife, and finally he saw her approaching.
Again the the waiting is imperfect. The seeing of his wife approaching is aorist as he clearly looks and and sees her in a glance. It is however a verb rather than a participle as as it is the main action without any further action. Again the approaching is a present participle and so there is no implication that the wife reaches him at this stage.
5) The women in the house were telling a story. Seeing the men they stopped talking and called them.
telling is imperfect as it is merely setting the scene. The seeing is an aorist participle giving the event that resulted in the stopping and that verb takes an infinitive. Then the final aorist verb is the completed action of them calling the men.
(Why is there no full stop after ἔλεγον?)
6) Philip, every day, led the dog to the sheepfold.
led is imperfect as it is repeated action over an extended time.
7) The maiden was trying to persuade her father to lead her to the city and he wasn't wanting to. Her mother easily persuaded him.
The first persuade(ἤθελεν) is imperfect with no implication that the daughter succeed. The not wanting on behalf of the father is imperfect suggesting reluctance rather than the outright refusal that would be conveyed by the aorist here. πειθω takes the infinitive which in this case is aorist (ἁγαγεῖν) as the daughter wants to actually get to the city. When the the mother does some persuading it is aorist conveying success.
8) Be silent, children, and listen me.
The first imperative is aorist convey shut up now. The second imperative is present which surprises me as it seems to imply listening as general practice rather than on this one occasion.
9) The maiden, having dropped the water jar and burst into tears, called her mother.
The two participles are aorist to convey that they occurred first before the daughter calls her mother.
10) The mother ordered the maiden to bring another water jar from the house and the maiden hurried home crying.
ἐκέλεθσεν is aorist ' a completed action by the mother. It takes an infinitive in this case κομίσαι which is aorist as she wants her daughter to actually complete the bringing. ἔσπευδεν is imperfect so no implication as yet that the daughter actually gets home while δακρύσα is a descriptive present participle describing the daughters state and leaves open when she stops crying.
λονδον

brunapogliano
Textkit Member

Post by brunapogliano »

Hello, everybody
I'm still around but it's a nightmarish time for me.
Last week my beloved aunt died after a five-year-long battle against cancer.
that's where I have been physically and mentally for the last 3 weeks.
In the meantime, another major family concern got worse.
I'll keep reading your works and working, though I barely remember Greek alphabet now.
Hope skies are clearer for all of you.
bruna pogliano
rhiannon05@alice.it

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

brunapogliano wrote: I'm still around but it's a nightmarish time for me.
Last week my beloved aunt died after a five-year-long battle against cancer.
that's where I have been physically and mentally for the last 3 weeks.
In the meantime, another major family concern got worse.
I hope your skies get clearer and I look forward to when you are eventually able to post more fully.

In the meantime here is my exercise ε
1) οἱ νεανίαι ἔτρεχε τάχιστα πρὸς τὴν ἀγοράν.
2) ἔπει ὁ παῖς ἐπάνελθε, ἡ κόρη ἔμενε παρὰ τῇ θύρᾳ.
3) ἔπλει ἤδη διὰ τῶν στενῶν εἰς τὸν λιμένα.
4) ἔμενον μὲν οἶκοι, ἐπορεύου δὲ πρὸς ἄστυ
5) ἐπεὶ ἀφικόμεθα ἐπί τὴν νῆσον οὐδείς ἡμῖν ἤθελε βοηθεῖν.
6) τὶ ἐποίει ὢ παῖ, ἔπει εἶδον σε ἐν λιμένι.
7) ἀρὰ ἔβλεπες τὸ πλοῖον ἔκπλεον πρὸς θάλασσαν.
8) ὁ ναύκληρος ἐβόα μέγα ἀλλὰ οὐ αὐτὸν ἐφοβούμεθα.
λονδον

zuri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by zuri »

Is this group still happening? I'm on 12α currently and would love some study partners :D

CanadianGirl
Textkit Fan

Post by CanadianGirl »

Hi-So this is where we are now? Sorry I've been away-I was working three (2 1/2) jobs for a while this summer, thought I would get caught up & take part again but it didn't happen. I am working on 13, I hope we can get the group back together and go forward. Hope everybody is well

zuri
Textkit Neophyte

Post by zuri »

CanadianGirl - it appears TextKit wont let me send PMs since I only have one post :(

Haven't heard back from anyone on the status of the group. I'd be interested in studying with you though.
I'm on chapter 18, but could certainly use some review to reinforce my learning. Feel free to email me:
zuri.biringer@gmail.com

cheers!

CanadianGirl
Textkit Fan

Post by CanadianGirl »

Yes I would like to continue-it's been so long I've lost track. I'll be back with you soon to see where we are. I would love to hear from the other people. i'll try to contact them again. Thanks!

derekgreer
Textkit Neophyte

Post by derekgreer »

Is this study group still going on?

CanadianGirl
Textkit Fan

Post by CanadianGirl »

If we have a few people, we might try to continue-I'm still interested. Let me know.

derekgreer
Textkit Neophyte

Post by derekgreer »

What lesson did you leave off with?

CanadianGirl
Textkit Fan

Post by CanadianGirl »

Lesson 13-I might need a little review-haven't looked at the book for a while. It's very good for sharpening your skills though, I miss it. I hope a fairly slow pace is acceptable.

brunapogliano
Textkit Member

Post by brunapogliano »

Hello, everybody
I've been able to drop by for the first time after...... so long.

I miss the work with the group and Greek. I'll try to catch up on the past.
bye
bruna pogliano
rhiannon05@alice.it

derekgreer
Textkit Neophyte

Post by derekgreer »

Hey, group. When I first started Athenaze book 1 (several years ago now), I created a Google group for discussion with some folks I was working through the book with at the time. If you are interested in the book or have been through the book in the past, I encourage you to join.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?nomobi ... m/athenaze