Help With J.A.C.T. Reading Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Prolixus Valens
Textkit Neophyte

Help With J.A.C.T. Reading Greek

Post by Prolixus Valens »

I'm beginning to use J.A.C.T.s Reading Greek to learn Greek. I am in Section 1-E. I'll give a few sentences for context.

μη μενε, αλλα φευγε και συ, και ριπτε σεαυτον εκ του πλοιου. αναβαινουσι α ηδη οι ανδρες.

I can't figure out what the 'α' means in "α ηδη" here. It is not in the running vocabulary or any of the companion books that I can find. I think that the sentence means "the men are coming up already". But what is the function of the 'α' in "α ηδη"?

[Edit]

I edited to change English text to Greek. I also wanted to say that I forgot my manners. I would greatly appreciate any help.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Help With J.A.C.T. Reading Greek

Post by bedwere »

Prolixus Valens wrote:I'm beginning to use J.A.C.T.s Reading Greek to learn Greek. I am in Section 1-E. I'll give a few sentences for context.

μη μενε, αλλα φευγε και συ, και ριπτε σεαυτον εκ του πλοιου. αναβαινουσι α ηδη οι ανδρες.

I can't figure out what the 'α' means in "α ηδη" here. It is not in the running vocabulary or any of the companion books that I can find. I think that the sentence means "the men are coming up already". But what is the function of the 'α' in "α ηδη"?

[Edit]

I edited to change English text to Greek. I also wanted to say that I forgot my manners. I would greatly appreciate any help.
In my copy there is γὰρ, which makes perfect sense.

μὴ μένε, ἄλλα φεῦγε καὶ σύ, καὶ ῥίπτε σεαυτὸν ἐκ τοῦ πλοίου. ἀναβαίνουσι γὰρ ἤδη οἱ ἄνδρες.

Prolixus Valens
Textkit Neophyte

That is odd! That would make sense. Can I ask, do you have the second edition? If so, then what printing? Mine says "9th printing 201". I did double check. Mine uses "α ηδη" instead of "γαρ ηδη". Do you have any idea what the former might mean if it is not a misprint?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

No, I have the first edition. It must be a misprint.

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

τοὺς ἄνδρας πέμπει ὁ στρατηγὸς τῷ ναυτικῷ, ἐθέλει γὰρ τὸν φυγάδα λαβεῖν. τούτους τοὺς ἄνδρας ὁ τοῦ φυγάδος φίλος ὁρᾷ. τὸν κίνδυνον ἔφη ὁ φυγὰς ἐκπέφευγα. οἱ τοῦ στρατηγοῦ ἄνδρες ἐν τοῖς πλοίοις οὐκ εἴσιν. νῦν ἀνάγομεν τὰ πλοῖα. οὔκουν ἔφη ὁ φίλος. μὴ μένε, ἀλλὰ φεῦγε καὶ σύ, καὶ ῥίπτε σεαυτὸν ἐκ τοῦ πλοίου. ἀναβαίνουσι ἃ ἤδη οἱ ἄνδρες. φεῦ! ἀναγίγνωσκω τὰ τοῦ Ὁμήρου βιβλία εἰς ὑπερβολήν. ἠμαρτάνον οῦν, ἀλλ’ ἀκριβῶς λέγω ἀναβαίνειν ταῦτα τὰ πλοῖα ἤδη τοὺς ἄνδρας.

(Yes, it's a misprint.)
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Joel Eidsath -- jeidsath@gmail.com

Prolixus Valens
Textkit Neophyte

jeidsath wrote:τοὺς ἄνδρας πέμπει ὁ στρατηγὸς τῷ ναυτικῷ, ἐθέλει γὰρ τὸν φυγάδα λαβεῖν. τούτους τοὺς ἄνδρας ὁ τοῦ φυγάδος φίλος ὁρᾷ. τὸν κίνδυνον ἔφη ὁ φυγὰς ἐκπέφευγα. οἱ τοῦ στρατηγοῦ ἄνδρες ἐν τοῖς πλοίοις οὐκ εἴσιν. νῦν ἀνάγομεν τὰ πλοῖα. οὔκουν ἔφη ὁ φίλος. μὴ μένε, ἀλλὰ φεῦγε καὶ σύ, καὶ ῥίπτε σεαυτὸν ἐκ τοῦ πλοίου. ἀναβαίνουσι ἃ ἤδη οἱ ἄνδρες. φεῦ! ἀναγίγνωσκω τὰ τοῦ Ὁμήρου βιβλία εἰς ὑπερβολήν. ἠμαρτάνον οῦν, ἀλλ’ ἀκριβῶς λέγω ἀναβαίνειν ταῦτα τὰ πλοῖα ἤδη τοὺς ἄνδρας.

(Yes, it's a misprint.)
You're killing me with all that Greek, man. It's all Greek to me! I want to be able to read it, but I have no where near the skill to do so. Could you possibly edit in an English translation? Why do I see the same formation in your text?

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

It's my attempt to give the misprint a context that would work. It doesn't really succeed.

They say that reading in translation is like kissing a woman through a veil, but I promise that the above is not something that you would want to kiss, with or without a veil.
“One might get one’s Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato." "In which case they would certainly plough you for the Little-go. The German scholars have improved Greek so much.”

Prolixus Valens
Textkit Neophyte

jeidsath wrote:It's my attempt to give the misprint a context that would work. It doesn't really succeed.

They say that reading in translation is like kissing a woman through a veil, but I promise that the above is not something that you would want to kiss, with or without a veil.
So, what does the 'a' mean in your passage, your attempt at a workable context?

jeidsath
Textkit Zealot

Post by jeidsath »

ἅ (note the accentuation) is who/which. It's declined, more or less like the article, from ὅς / ἥ / ὅ

τὰ δένδρα ἅ κατακόπτω -- The trees which I am cutting down.

That doesn't work in the context. However, the meaning is a bit wider in Homeric Greek. In Homer, it can be a demonstrative (ie., "that"). The person speaking in my above passage apologizes and says "I've been reading too much Homer." But I'm likely using it incorrectly even then. We'll have to wait for some of the better Greek speakers on the board to correct me. My passage is meant to be funny more than an actual proposal. In your textbook it is definitely a misprint.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Prolixus Valens' misprint of J.A.C.T. wrote:αναβαινουσι α ηδη οι ανδρες.
jeidsath wrote:...ἀναβαίνουσι ἃ ἤδη οἱ ἄνδρες.

It's my attempt to give the misprint a context that would work. It doesn't really succeed.
This reminds me of something Markos would do. And I don't mean that in a good way.
Markos wrote:ἀναβαίνουσι ἀηδῆ οἱ ἄνδρες.
The men are having relations with a disagreeable chap.
Not giving up my day job... :)