προπεμπτικόν, ἀναγράμμα, λεύκη in Latin?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Phil-
Textkit Neophyte

προπεμπτικόν, ἀναγράμμα, λεύκη in Latin?

Post by Phil- »

Hello,

Recently I ran across several Latinized Greek words in Comenius' Janua Linguarum. I'm trying to find equivalent Latin words or phrases because in a parallel Latin-Greek edition, I feel it's pointless to have the exact same words but in Latin script. So far I've found a few of these equiavalents. For example:

ἐπιθαλάμια -> epithalamia -> nuptialia carmina
ἐπικήδεια -> epicedia -> funebria carmina

But I'm having trouble with the following words, and I'm wondering if any of you have any leads:

προπεμπτικόν, apparently another kind of song or poetry. It's in LSJ, but as a cryptic adjective.
ἀναγράμμα, of the same type.
λεύκη, some kind of measurement.

Here are the words in context--in the Latin original and a Greek translation. The first passage contains the first two words, the second contains λεύκη.

754. Sed poëta e prosa (soluta) ligatam faciens, versus et rhythmos concinnat eleganter; carmina (metrum) modulatur decenter; nuptialia carmina (epithalamia), funebria carmina (epicedia), propemptica, inscriptiones (epigrammata), anagrammata, etc. fingit ingeniose. Qui si excellit, laurea coronatur.
754. Ὁ δὲ ποιητὴς ἐκ πεζοῦ λόγου ἔποχον (ἔπη, ῥυθμοὺς) ποιῶν κομψεύει, καὶ ἐπιθαλάμια, ἐπικήδεια, προπεμπτικά, ἐπιγράμματα, ἀναγράμματα μελῳδεῖ. ὁ δὲ τῶν ἄλλων προὔχων στεφάνῳ δαφνίνῳ στεφανοῦται.

762. Mensurae continuorum sunt granum, digitus, palmus, spithama, ulna, pes, passus, orgyia (id est, quinque vel sex pedes), decempeda, stadium, milliare, leuca. His metimur omnia.
762. Τὰ μέτρα τῶν συνεχῶν, σιτάριον, δάκτυλος, δοχμή, σπιθαμή, κύβιτον (πῆχυς), πούς, βῆμα, ὀργυιά, δεκάπους, στάδιον, μίλιον, λεύκη. τούτοις πάντα καταμετροῦμεν.

I'm aiming for Latin words or phrases for these Greek words, but since I don't know what they mean, simply definitions would be extremely helpful as well.

Thanks!

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: προπεμπτικόν, ἀναγράμμα, λεύκη in Latin?

Post by Qimmik »

Just leave them in Greek, just as English texts often contain French or Latin words. Cicero's letters and other Latin texts frequently include Greek words. Or else transliterate them into Latin.

A propempticon is a poem written for someone setting out on a journey. There are several famous ones in Latin, e.g., by Catullus and Horace. There's no equivalent Latin word that I know of.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Just a minute. Didn’t he write it in Latin? So you shouldn’t need to find Latin equivalents. Latin for ἐπιθαλάμιον is epithalamium; Greek terms were often merely romanized (or even left in Greek form, as Qimmik notes). Or isn’t his own Latin good enough for you? I don't know just what your project is, but surely you have to stick to the original Latin? What am I missing?

The first set lists particular kinds of Greek song, which don't map well onto Roman song culture, though Roman poets took over the Greek classifications for their book-poetry. If they’re not in the Greek or Latin dictionaries (but surely they will be; you may have to turn to Late Greek or late Latin dictionaries for some, e.g. Sophocles’ Greek lexicon, or the Thesaurus Linguae Latinae), you could consult Francis Cairns' Generic Composition (he has quite a lot on the propempticon, IIRC). There are Greek and Latin treatises.

Likewise for units of measurement. I’m not familiar with the leuca (evidently something longer than a Roman mile). I fancy not all of Comenius’ items are classical.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Following up:

The poetic terms (minimally romanized forms of what were originally Greek words).
Epigrammata are epigrams (in verse), not inscriptions.
Anagrammata are presumably anagrams. Seems a bit odd in this context, but late Greek and Latin poets did play around with anagrammatized verse.
Propemptica are literally "sending-forth" poems, try googling or see Cairns.
Epithalamia (sing. -ium) has come into English.

The units of linear measurement are Roman, with an admixture of originally Greek words taken over by the Romans.
I’ve solved the mysterious “leuca”! Simple enough. It’ll be an alternative spelling of “leuga” (g & c are often interchanged), which the OLD says is Celtic, equal to 1500 Roman paces. (A mile, the preceding measure in Comenius' list, was 1000, as its name indicates.) Presumably it entered the language with the romanization of the Gallic regions, and I’m guessing it’s the same word as our “league.” (OLD quotes an inscription with "leugae VII" — just one pace if you happen to be wearing seven-league boots.) *

If you want to explain what epicedia etc are, perhaps you could do so in a footnote? You surely don’t want to go tampering with Comenius’ Latin, which after all is what the Greek and other translations were rendering!

* PS. LSJ has a entry for λεύγη, defined as "a measure of milk." They cite Hesychius, and sure enough, the entry in Hesychius' lexicon runs λεύγη· μέτρον τι γάλακτος ("a measure of milk"). But γάλακτος must surely be corrupt for Γαλατικόν! — "a Galatian measure." That would confirm the Celtic origin of the word.