Athenaze Study Group - Lesson 5

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Azzageddi
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Athenaze Study Group - Lesson 5

Post by Azzageddi »

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I figured since my question is about something from chapter 5 of Athenaze, it'd be better just to post it here rather than start a new thread (or add it to my own increasingly farraginous one).

In an English to Greek translation exercise, they give the following: "He is a good boy and guards the flocks well..."

It goes on but that first half is the relevant section. I translated it as:

ἀγαθός παῖς ἐστι καὶ φυλάττει τὰ μῆλα εὖ...

However, the teacher's manual gave this as the (or at least a) correct answer:

ἀγαθός ἐστιν ὁ παῖς καὶ τὰ μῆλα εὖ φυλάττει...

Bolded sections are what confuse me. Literally the page facing this exercise explains the differences between attributive and predicate positions with regards to adjectives, and at least the way I understood it, their answer has ἀγαθός in the predicative position ("the boy is good") as opposed to the attributive one as called for by the exercise ("he is a good boy"). This may seem like quibbling, but considering they just spent the time explaining the difference, I'd imagine it's an important distinction.

εὐχαριστῶ.