H&Q Unit 1

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

H&Q Unit 1

Post by bingley »

Could someone check my answers to this English to Greek translation exercise, please. I'm using the book as a revision text. We didn't really cover accents at school, so if you could particularly check for them I'd be very grateful.<br /><br />The themes for the unit are:<br /><br />First and Second Declension Nouns<br />The Article<br />Word Order<br /><br />1. The god educates the men.<br />2. the man sends Homer’s brother to the marketplace.<br />3. Man, Homer’s brother sends to the gods a gift from the island.<br />4. With his stories Homer educates his brothers on the islands.<br /><br />[size=150]ὁ θεὸς τοὺς ἀνθρώπους παιδεύει.ὁ ἄνθρωπος εἰς τὴν ἀγορὰν τὸν ὁμήρου ἀδελφὸν πέμπει.ὦ ἄνθρωπε ὁ ὁμήρου ἀδελφὸς τὸ ἐκ τὴς νήσου δῶρον εἰς τοὺς θεοὺς πέμπει.ὁ ὅμηρος τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς ἐν τοὶς νήσοις παιδεύει τοὶς λόγοις.

Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:H&Q Unit 1

Post by Skylax »

Nearly perfect !<br /><br />n° 4 : delete the to/ (it would be "the" gift)<br /> replace th\j by th=j<br />n° 5 : replace both toi\j by toi=j

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Re:H&Q Unit 1

Post by bingley »

Thank you Skylax. <br /><br />I did have [size=150]τοῖς on my handwritten answer sheet. It's taking me a while to get used to typing in Greek. You'd be surprised how many pi's started life as mu's.