Textkit Logo

question from Mastronarde Unit 11

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

question from Mastronarde Unit 11

Postby akhnaten » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:13 am

unit is on present/middle passive, but my question is about use of dative.

Unit XI, Section III, Question 9:
οὐκ ἔξεστι τοῖς παιδίοις τοῖς θεοῖς σπένδειν.

I came up with two possible translations:
1) It is not permitted to the children to pour libations for the gods.
2) It is not permitted by the gods for the children to pour libations.

#1 is what is found in Mastronarde's answer key. He tends to give multiple answers at this stage if the wording is vague. I have come back to this once, and I understand that #1 is perhaps the more common translation. But it seems that τοῖς θεοῖς can serve as a "dative of means" in this construction and not just the the indirect object of σπένδειν. σπένδw was just introduced this chapter, so I do not know how often it is seen with the dative.
Is there only one correct way to interpret this?
akhnaten
Textkit Neophyte

Re: question from Mastronarde Unit 11

Postby Qimmik » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:52 pm

2 is really not possible here.

The dative without a preposition is used to mark the instrument with which an action is accomplished, but only with the perfect tense (generally) is the dative used to mark the agent with a passive verb, i.e., a being endowed with the capacity to act of its own volition, as opposed to a lifeless thing. (In other contexts ὑπό + genitive is usually used to mark the agent of a passive verb.)*

The complement of σπένδω (if it has one) is typically a dative indirect object -- to pour libations to someone or something.

In any event, ἔξεστι is really not a passive action verb that could take an agent as a complement. The English translation "it is not allowed" is a little misleading in this respect because it's passive and it can take an agent as a complement in English: "it is not allowed by X." A translation that better reflects the Greek would be "it is not possible" or "it is not permissible."

*In the case of the perfect, "agent" is perhaps not the right word. The perfect generally denotes a present state resulting from a past action. Thus, "the party responsible for the current state of the subject" might be be a better description than "agent". But this is too technical and it's irrelevant to Mastronarde's sentence.
Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: question from Mastronarde Unit 11

Postby akhnaten » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:18 pm

thank you for the full explanation. as you mentioned, ἔξεστι is not really passive in Greek, and that's why i didn't expect ὑπό + gen. the note on dative w/o preposition in perfect tense compared to others is much appreciated. i'll return to the thread once the perfect is introduced. thank you!
akhnaten
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Greek