Textkit Logo

Proper nouns, Greek to English

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Proper nouns, Greek to English

Postby akhnaten » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:56 am

Not a huge issue--but it would help me a little. I have tried a few google and textkit searches without luck. In fact, the searches are better at coming up with vocabulary lists without proper nouns!

Is there a list of only proper nouns, Greek and English? Historical and fictional people and deities, places, that sort of thing. I do not need a whole dictionary, but if I could see maybe 50 or 100 common names (taken from any dialect), I would get a better grasp of how these words are historically transliterated. At this point, I am only coming across a handful at a time, which does not provide a good picture of transliteration.
akhnaten
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Proper nouns, Greek to English

Postby cb » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:27 am

hi, here you go, it's in the back of woodhouse's english to grk dictionary:

http://artflsrv02.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/ ... er=Keyword

cheers, chad
cb
Textkit Fan

Postby akhnaten » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:37 pm

this is exactly what i was looking for, thank you.
(again, not important at this stage. i'm assuming that if the names show nom. and gen. forms, they are declinable names. if they only show a nominative entry, they are indeclinable?)
akhnaten
Textkit Neophyte

Postby cb » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:38 am

hi, they're all declinable. i think woodhouse just gives the gen. where the reader might not know how to form it. cheers, chad
cb
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Greek