repetition or omission of the preposition

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
davidmccollough
Textkit Neophyte

repetition or omission of the preposition

Post by davidmccollough »

Does the non-repetition of a preposition followed by two nouns joined by καί require that the two nouns form a hendiadys? I am looking at John 3:5 γεννηθῇ ἐξ ὕδατος καὶ πνεύματος.

Nigel Turner, Syntax, states that in John's gospel, he has 15 opportunities to repeat the preposition, but does so only 8 times (275).

Turner's results seem to contradict G. B. Winer who states: "When two or more substantives dependant on the same preposition immediately follow one another joined together by a copula, the preposition is most naturally repeated, if the substantives in question denote things which are to be conceived as distinct and independent … but not repeated, if the substantives fall under a single category" (419-420).

A. T. Robertson, contra Winer, states that "one cannot properly insist on any ironclad rule" regarding repetition of prepositions (566.)

Does non-repetition of the preposition mandate a hendiadys?

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Re: repetition or omission of the preposition

Post by mwh »

No. I'm with Robertson on that.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Re: repetition or omission of the preposition

Post by Markos »

davidmccollough wrote:A. T. Robertson, contra Winer, states that "one cannot properly insist on any ironclad rule" regarding repetition of prepositions (566.)
mwh wrote:I'm with Robertson on that.
Me too. In fact, I would not insist on an ironclad rule regarding practically anything when it comes to Greek or any other language, except for one: Context is King.