Textkit Logo

repetition or omission of the preposition

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

repetition or omission of the preposition

Postby davidmccollough » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:20 am

Does the non-repetition of a preposition followed by two nouns joined by καί require that the two nouns form a hendiadys? I am looking at John 3:5 γεννηθῇ ἐξ ὕδατος καὶ πνεύματος.

Nigel Turner, Syntax, states that in John's gospel, he has 15 opportunities to repeat the preposition, but does so only 8 times (275).

Turner's results seem to contradict G. B. Winer who states: "When two or more substantives dependant on the same preposition immediately follow one another joined together by a copula, the preposition is most naturally repeated, if the substantives in question denote things which are to be conceived as distinct and independent … but not repeated, if the substantives fall under a single category" (419-420).

A. T. Robertson, contra Winer, states that "one cannot properly insist on any ironclad rule" regarding repetition of prepositions (566.)

Does non-repetition of the preposition mandate a hendiadys?
davidmccollough
Textkit Neophyte

Re: repetition or omission of the preposition

Postby mwh » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:33 pm

No. I'm with Robertson on that.
mwh
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: repetition or omission of the preposition

Postby Markos » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:27 pm

davidmccollough wrote:A. T. Robertson, contra Winer, states that "one cannot properly insist on any ironclad rule" regarding repetition of prepositions (566.)

mwh wrote:I'm with Robertson on that.

Me too. In fact, I would not insist on an ironclad rule regarding practically anything when it comes to Greek or any other language, except for one: Context is King.
Markos
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek