looking for recommendation...

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
marxbert
Textkit Neophyte

looking for recommendation...

Post by marxbert »

I would like to have Greek, mainly for philosophy but eventually tragedy and poetry. I am hoping to find a textbook that will prepare me for the Fragments collected by Diels, and the works of Plato.

I am considering using Hensen and Quinn's Greek: An Intensive Course or Mastronarde's Introduction to Attic Greek. I have read about Beetham's Learning Greek with Plato, but cannot locate an affordable copy (sells for 100s of dollars)--any comments on this text, how it compares to the other two textbooks, and its availability would be appreciated.

Anyone with experience with these books, please feel free to comment. It will be self-study, but I do have experience using Moreland and Fleischer on my own (with the internet's assistance on more than one occasion!).

jaihare
Textkit Zealot

Re: looking for recommendation...

Post by jaihare »

χαῖρε, ὦ φίλε.

Have you decided what you're going to do? If you're going to use Hansen and Quinn, I'm looking for someone to read along with over Skype.

This textbook is, in my opinion, excellent. It covers in the first four units grammar beyond a full level of Greek to GCSE (for example). I'm loving it.