Where to look for Greek inscriptions/fragments

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
GJCaesar
Textkit Neophyte

Where to look for Greek inscriptions/fragments

Post by GJCaesar »

Salvete,

In three weeks, I will make a tour through Greece with my university. For this wonderful occasion, we, the students, will be the guides, and we are asked to make a brochure ourselves, which talks about all kinds of stuff (history of a site, epigraphy, and so on).
I'm having trouble with finding a good source for Greek fragments and inscriptions.
I will write about Olympia, in particular the gymnasium, palestra and the stadium.
I was wondering if there would be any inscriptions left in Olympia, for example on temples or altars?
Any help would be really appreciated. This is the only part i'm struggling with .. :roll:

GJC
vincatur oportet aut vincat

ailuros
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Where to look for Greek inscriptions/fragments

Post by ailuros »

You could try Russell Meiggs' selection of ancient greek inscriptions. Sorry, i don't have exact title, but it's something like that, and i think he co-authored it with someone whose name i cannot remember. I saw a paperback copy a few years ago, so it may still be in print, but may be expensive. Library?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

You would probably be best served by books about epigraphy, rather than collections of transcribed inscriptions. Some books available through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Epig ... +epigraphy

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Epig ... 200D19D9JZ

These are manuals of epigraphy. Roberts is very old and focused on archaic inscriptions; the other is new and focused on the post-classical period, which will probably be more helpful.

This book is apparently out of print and difficult to obtain:

http://www.amazon.com/Study-Inscription ... scriptions

There are plenty of inscriptions everywhere you go in Greece, housed mostly in museums, including the museum at Olympia. There is an epigraphic museum in Athens, which unfortunately I didn't manage to visit on my trip there. Many are from the Roman period.

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

ailuros wrote:You could try Russell Meiggs' selection of ancient greek inscriptions. Sorry, i don't have exact title, but it's something like that, and i think he co-authored it with someone whose name i cannot remember. I saw a paperback copy a few years ago, so it may still be in print, but may be expensive. Library?
Is this the one you meant A selection of Greek historical inscriptions to the end of the fifth century B.C
Oxford : Clarendon Press ; New York : Oxford University Press, 1988, c1969.
?
(This is just what a search of London University Library's catalogue came up with).
λονδον

ailuros
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ailuros »

That's the one.

GJCaesar
Textkit Neophyte

Post by GJCaesar »

Hey everybody,

thanks for the reactions. I managed to use some useful resources in the university library, and finally got familiar with the database on uni (!).
I will keep you updated on any special stuff I stumble upon.

GJC
vincatur oportet aut vincat