New Opportunity to speak a little Ancient Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Markos
Textkit Zealot

New Opportunity to speak a little Ancient Greek

Post by Markos »

Paul Nitz (Σαῦλος) discovered a new forum, Voice Thread, that makes listening to and speaking Ancient Greek very easy. It is free and easy to join, and you can post voice messages and videos super quickly. You can also type Greek with the messages and it has a doodling feature that allows you to highlight parts of pictures as you ask questions and describe them. Here is the link:

Directions:
Go to this link: http://voicethread.com/share/5467767/
Watch and comment.
If you have not yet signed up on Voice Thread, click on “Comment”
You will get a pop-up screen showing the option to “sign in” or “sign up”

Paul notes that this is, unlike say Skype, not live chat, but rather asynchronous speaking, meaning that you can listen to the voice threads at your leisure and respond to the post at a time convenient to you. This makes regular participation really easy. It's really nothing that we have not already been doing on You-Tube and Archive.org and elsewhere, but the improved format really does make things faster and easier. I recommend that anyone who wants to improve their reading fluency by adding aural and oral input/output give it a try.
Last edited by Markos on Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

huilen
Textkit Member

Re: New Opportunity to speak a little Ancient Greek

Post by huilen »

Hey, that is a great idea! Using asynchronous voice messages could be very useful to study an idiom. Is the greek thread that you mention still alive? I don't see it in the link that you shared, it only shows to me a "no results" message.

Markos
Textkit Zealot

Post by Markos »

Try this:

Directions:
Go to this link: http://voicethread.com/share/5467767/
Watch and comment.
If you have not yet signed up on Voice Thread, click on “Comment”
You will get a pop-up screen showing the option to “sign in” or “sign up”

Let me know if it does not work.

Μᾶρκος

huilen
Textkit Member

Post by huilen »

Now it works, it seems that the first link was outdated.

This is an amazing resource, all of you are doing a great job there, please keep alive the thread.