Scansion of πυλάων

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Archimedes
Textkit Neophyte

Scansion of πυλάων

Post by Archimedes »

I’m scanning epigrams in hexameter and came across a line that ends with πυλάων (gates), which scans uu-. According to the basic rules, the last foot of a line of hexameter should end with either a trochee (-u) or a spondee (--); yet this word ends with an iamb (u-). Is this a little exception to the rule that might be documented somewhere? Thanks.

Paul Derouda
Global Moderator

Re: Scansion of πυλάων

Post by Paul Derouda »

I would be helpful if you posted at least the whole hexametre line, and if possible, gave its origin. It's difficult to answer questions of metre if we don't have the whole line. It's also more interesting to answer when you know something about the context.

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

The genitive plural in -άων is a Homeric form. The alpha is long. See Smyth section 214D, note 8. (The line after the alpha indicates that the alpha is long in the on-line version of Smyth):
8. Gen. plur.—(a) -ά_ων, the original form, occurs in Hom. (μουσά_ων, ἀγορά_ων).
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... ction%3D13

Epigrams are frequently written in Homeric language.

Archimedes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Archimedes »

Paul Derouda wrote:I would be helpful if you posted at least the whole hexametre line, and if possible, gave its origin. It's difficult to answer questions of metre if we don't have the whole line. It's also more interesting to answer when you know something about the context.
ξεῖνε, νόῳ σκίρτησον, ἰδών ἐφύπερθε πυλάων

It's from the Greek Anthology 9.686; the accent on ἰδών should be grave.

Archimedes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Archimedes »

Qimmik wrote:The genitive plural in -άων is a Homeric form. The alpha is long. See Smyth section 214D, note 8. (The line after the alpha indicates that the alpha is long in the on-line version of Smyth):
8. Gen. plur.—(a) -ά_ων, the original form, occurs in Hom. (μουσά_ων, ἀγορά_ων).
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/tex ... ction%3D13

Epigrams are frequently written in Homeric language.
Thanks for clearing that up; line ends in a spondee, then, instead of an iamb.

Archimedes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Archimedes »

My revised scansion of
ξεῖνε, νόῳ σκίρτησον, ἰδών ἐφύπερθε πυλάων
is
-uu -- -uu -uu -uu --
Or have I missed something else?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Post by Qimmik »

Yes, your scansion is correct. You should probably also note the feminine caesura in the third foot.