Comenius in Greek

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
bedwere
Global Moderator

Comenius in Greek

Post by bedwere »

Hi,

I stumbled upon this Comenius in Greek (with German parallel text).

Ὀνομαστικὸν περὶ τοῦ παντός

It seems to be different from the Janua Resereta Randy was working on. Does anyone know?

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Comenius in Greek

Post by bedwere »

I guess that it is Orbis Pictus, except for the first six chapters.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

There's also this.

http://www.letsreadgreek.com/comenius/

(I've been working on and off on a transcription of the text into readable type etc, actually I should have it ready in the next few weeks and will post it here once I do.)

bedwere
Global Moderator

Post by bedwere »

I'm interested, Miguel. I think that the second book has a lot of errors, though.

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by anphph »

Yes. Mostly in the gender of nouns. One of the versions is also better, insofar as it seems to have a better feel for the Greek than the other, knowing better when a verb should be middle voice etc. As far as I am able, I've been correcting and keeping track of these mistakes.

Stephen Hill
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Stephen Hill »

Miguel, I'd also been working on transcribing Comenius, though I haven't gotten very far. I'll keep an eye out for your transcription. I've noticed dozens of wrong accents, and I've been trying to determine whether the Greek and Latin words given as synonyms are actually synonymous. Sometimes they don't seem to match up very well. But it's worth the effort, since a corrected and reset Orbis Pictus would be so worthwhile for students of both languages.