Textkit Logo

Greek punctuation (I think) - Don Camillo translation

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Greek punctuation (I think) - Don Camillo translation

Postby daivid » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:45 pm

This is from the translation of the Don Camillo story (translator Juan Coderch)
κατ' ἐνιαυτόν, τῆς ἑορτῆς ἐν τῇ κόμῃ γιγνομένης, οἱ κωμῆται τὸν τοῦ χρίστου σταυρὸν ἔφερον πομπεύοντες, τῆς δὲ πομπῆς πρὸς τὸ φράγμα ἀφικομένης ὁ ἱερεὺς τῷ ποταμῷ καθιέρωσιν ἐνετίθει ἵνα ὁ ποταμὸς μὴ μανικῶς ἔχοι καὶ τῇ κώμῃ ποσφέροιτο.


I am fairly sure that I understand what Coderch has written (see below). What I can't understand is why there is no full stop after πομπεύοντες. Either I don't understand Ancient Greek punctuation or my translation is off.

Every year, the festival in the village happening, the villagers would carry the cross of Christ (while) parading,
the procession up to the fence having arrived, the priest a dedication would place-in the river so-that the river should not be crazy and should behave in ordered way towards the village.
λονδον
User avatar
daivid
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: ὁ τοῦ βασιλέως λίθος, London, Europe

Re: Greek punctuation (I think) - Don Camillo translation

Postby Markos » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:25 pm

daivid wrote:Either I don't understand Ancient Greek punctuation...


As you know, there is really no such thing as Ancient Greek punctuation. The particles and connectives handle this. Punctuation is at best medieval, and always is a matter of the editor's discretion.

Having said this, δέ in τῆς δὲ πομπῆς surely starts a new idea, so yes there should be a period right before it.

It's probably just a typo, but thanks for bringing this book to our attention.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Don-Cam ... 9606796173


How easy is the Greek? All things being equal, I find works like this to be very useful for learners of Ancient Greek, although again I am at a disadvantage as I am not familiar with the original.
Markos
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 1179
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Greek punctuation (I think) - Don Camillo translation

Postby daivid » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:05 pm

Markos wrote:
daivid wrote:Either I don't understand Ancient Greek punctuation...


As you know, there is really no such thing as Ancient Greek punctuation. The particles and connectives handle this. Punctuation is at best medieval, and always is a matter of the editor's discretion.

Having said this, δέ in τῆς δὲ πομπῆς surely starts a new idea, so yes there should be a period right before it.

It's probably just a typo, but thanks for bringing this book to our attention.


That's a relief. At the back of my mind was the thought that it might be a missprint but I avoid letting such suspicions bubble to the surface because much more often the mistake is on my part. That missprint really threw me becasuse it meant the first sentence was 40 words long which resulted in a real failure to process.

Markos wrote:
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Don-Cam ... 9606796173

How easy is the Greek? All things being equal, I find works like this to be very useful for learners of Ancient Greek, although again I am at a disadvantage as I am not familiar with the original.


It is easier than the Harry Potter translation but I am still finding it quite hard.
It is the sort of thing I would have expected to find in my local public library which would make checking with the origional easy but I was out of luck. The second story, the Sherlock Holmes one, is of course in public domain and so downloadabe http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/108/pg108.txt It's the " The Adventure Of The Three Students".
λονδον
User avatar
daivid
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: ὁ τοῦ βασιλέως λίθος, London, Europe

Re: Greek punctuation (I think) - Don Camillo translation

Postby Qimmik » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:56 pm

I don't seen anything wrong with the punctuation. A new clause connected to the previous clause with δὲ is often treated like καί or English "and," with a comma, rather than a stronger punctuation mark (colon or period), indicating the end of the previous clause.
Qimmik
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 930
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:15 pm

Re: Greek punctuation (I think) - Don Camillo translation

Postby daivid » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:03 am

Qimmik wrote:I don't seen anything wrong with the punctuation. A new clause connected to the previous clause with δὲ is often treated like καί or English "and," with a comma, rather than a stronger punctuation mark (colon or period), indicating the end of the previous clause.


I guess you right. I still think it would have been helpful for less able readers like myself had Coderch used a full stop. However I guess the real lesson for me should be to learn to look out for <word> + δὲ and add a break before it.
λονδον
User avatar
daivid
Textkit Zealot
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: ὁ τοῦ βασιλέως λίθος, London, Europe


Return to Learning Greek

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 48 guests

cron