Iliad recitation

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
Hu

Iliad recitation

Post by Hu »

I've finally managed to sit down and take a few minutes to record a part (I.1-73) of the Iliad. Here it is. Like a true αοιδός, I recited it from memory, which is why I only went to line 73- that's all I know straight through from the beginning (though I know a few more lines after that). I've read up to line 125 or so in Pharr, though I need to go back over the last few lines as I didn't read them very thoroughly.

Please note that this recording is hampered by three things:
1. I was reciting from memory, not reading from a book.
2. For some reason, I can never record into a microphone as well as I speak normally. If I were performing this in front of other people, it'd sound better.
3. I'm still very mich an amateur and beginner in these things. For example, the more astute listener will probably notice instances where ei and ou are pronounced as diphthongs when they're probably spurious dipthongs (which is why I'm compiling a list of the instances of spurious vs. genuine diphthongs in Homer).

You might have to turn your speakers up to hear this, as my microphone recorded somewhat quietly and I haven't really learned how to fix audio things like that. For future recordings, I'll try to learn about those things.

I welcome any and all comments and suggestions.

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

I am not able to give a judgment on the metre of your recital and I can only give a general observation that the pronunciation seems good. I am not an expert on this though.
Re. the χ of χ?υσέῳ in line 15; Is it supposed to sound like the first sound is an s sound? Maybe it is from the last letter of the word before it but you had a distinct pause between them. It is very pleasant to listen to. Actually I loved listening to it.
After listening a few times I could follow quite a bit without reading along.
Some of the readings I have listened to on the net give me the shivers. Not because they are incorrect (I wouln't know) but because they seem so un-natural. Kind of half way between a poem and a song.
I am most impressed that you did this from memory.
As you are reciting this, do you know what you are saying?
What I mean is, do you understand the meaning of the lines as you are saying them?
If I read Iliad 1 to myself I pretty well understand what I am reading but when I do it out loud I pay to much attention to the pronunciation that I lose the meaning.
BTW, you missed lines 28 and 40 and the last three words of line 69. In line 32, instead of ἴθι as it is in the text I used to follow, you said something else.
In line 68 it sounds like you say κ'εἰπὼν instead of εἰπὼν as it is in my text.
I am looking forward to comments from some of the knowledgable ones of the forum.
Let us know if you are doing more of the book.

Hu

Post by Hu »