Textkit Logo

Searchable classic Greek dictionary download

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Searchable classic Greek dictionary download

Postby ittiandro » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:42 am

Hi !
I have an Android pad on which I have installed most of the Loeb Classics. I wonder if there is a searchable offline ancient Greek dictionary I can download. I already have access to the online LSJ Greek dictionary when I read Greek off the desktop, but it would be handy to have one available for my tablet when the Internet connection is not available. It seems a very difficult endeavior to find one. Any suggestions?
By the way, I have a multilingual keyboard on my Android tablet, but it must be for modern Greek, because all the special diacritic characters of ancient Greek are missing. I guess this could be a problem , if I want to use a searchable ancient Greek dictionary, unless I can search with UNICODE.
I had found a polytonic Greek keyboard which according to the description , seemed to have all those diacritic signs, but when I downloaded it and tried to install it, I was unable to. I kept getting a message that there was already a package with the same name but a different signature (?) . I don't know what the problem was, because that was my first Greek keyboard I was trying to install. If there already was another one( maybe from a previous attempt) , I should have been able to see it, but there was none. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ittiandro
Montreal
ittiandro
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Searchable classic Greek dictionary download

Postby Godmy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:03 am

Not for download, but I may make some classical Greek dictionary available in a searchable form in my site, which will be then 'public' unless there is a problem with copyrights. The bad thing is that I have to attend these days too many other things.

There are already Latin-Greek and Greek-Latin dictionaries you might like.
POST·NVBILA·PHOEBVS
Godmy
Textkit Neophyte

Postby mingshey » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:31 pm

Although I have the 1996 dead tree edition of LSJ and Diogenes and Perseus is ready when I'm online, I downloaded a seventh edition of LSJ from Internet Archive on my android phone. Although not searchable, it would be useful when I'm totally offline. I had put some bookmarks for the starting alphabets(I use EBook Droid as the reader.) for conveniency's sake. I'd like to add more detailed bookmarks, but that would be a tedious job, and it would be harder to browse the bookmarks itself.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Postby MiguelM » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:39 pm

How do you add bookmarks to pdfs without owning that very expensive Acrobat software?
MiguelM
Textkit Fan

Postby mingshey » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:30 am

I had downloaded djvu file instead of pdf.
And without regard to the file format, EbookDroid keeps bookmarks for each ebook it loads, not in the file itself but maybe in a separate db.
mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek