Did Homer write down his epics?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Did Homer write down his epics?

Post by greagach »

<br /> Greek scholars and amateurs of Textkit, I really need your lights on this one. Were the Iliad and the Odyssey (my favourite Greek books) written down at the times of Peisistratos, or had Homer himself already written them down at the first place? <br /><br />All that little I’ve read so far on the matter is so controversial, I’m not sure what to believe. <br /><br />What have YOU read? Could you at least suggest some good book on this question? <br /><br /> Thanks a lot in advance. <br /><br />
αἴτιον: ἡ ψυχὴ μετὰ λόγου· συναίτιον: τὸ πῦρ [Ἡράκλειτος]

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Re:Did Homer write down his epics?

Post by Emma_85 »

Homer probably wrote them down and used the written language to concipate his master piece. Something I find incredible as he supposedly wrote it in 730 BC, and they Greeks only had letters again since 780. So he was probably one of the first to use it in that way.

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

When the minoan age ended they also lost Linar B, so for 100s of years they had no letters, until they started using the Phonecian ones.<br />It is still disputed wether Homer actually wrote them both, but I think that they do know for sure when about they were written and that it was definatly written down by the author.

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Hmm, Linear B syllabic character system looks like japanese kana system. they both have additional ideographic system, too.

greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Post by greagach »

<br /> what is the Japanese "Kana" system, and in what way is it related to Mycenaean Linear B? could you tell me more about that, mingshey?

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

[quote author=greagach link=board=2;threadid=607;start=0#6443 date=1064237745]<br />what is the Japanese "Kana" system, and in what way is it related to Mycenaean Linear B? could you tell me more about that, mingshey? <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Kana are two syllabaries that the Japanese use. One, hiragana, is used to write small words such as particles, added after kanji to write conjugations of verbs, and so on. The other, katakana, is used mainly to write foreign loan words. They are based on very simplified kanji. <br /><br />Oh, and I think I can safely say that they have absolutely no genetic relationship to Linear B. ;)
I, Lex Llama, super genius, will one day rule this planet! And then you'll rue the day you messed with me, you damned dirty apes!

greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Post by greagach »

[size=150] ἔρρωσο, λέξ. εὐχαριστῶ,κώνσαιδιν