odd combination of genitive and accusative

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
daivid
Administrator

odd combination of genitive and accusative

Post by daivid »

Just as I was sure that I at last fully understood Anabasis 1:4,7 another little detail has turned round and bit me.
Okay the two pissed off Greek leaders have just embarked on a ship and they...
καὶ τὰ πλείστου ἄξια ἐνθέμενοι
It means "and they placing the most valuble of (their) things" but why is it
πλείστου which is in the genitive. Something like this would be closer to what I'd expect:
καὶ τὰ πλείστα τῶν ἄξια ἐνθέμενοι

Xenophon, Anabasis 1:4,7 wrote:
καὶ Ξενίας ὁ Ἀρκὰς στρατηγὸς καὶ Πασίων ὁ Μεγαρεὺς ἐμβάντες εἰς πλοῖον καὶ τὰ πλείστου ἄξια ἐνθέμενοι ἀπέπλευσαν, ὡς μὲν τοῖς πλείστοις ἐδόκουν φιλοτιμηθέντες ὅτι τοὺς στρατιώτας αὐτῶν τοὺς παρὰ Κλέαρχον ἀπελθόντας ὡς ἀπιόντας εἰς τὴν Ἑλλάδα πάλιν καὶ οὐ πρὸς βασιλέα εἴα Κῦρος τὸν Κλέαρχον ἔχειν.
λονδον

Victor
Textkit Fan

Re: odd combination of genitive and accusative

Post by Victor »

καὶ τὰ πλείστου ἄξια ἐνθέμενοι is perfectly regular Greek. The genitive πλείστου is dependent on the neuter accusative τὰ ἄξια, τὰ πλείστου ἄξια being literally "things worthy of the most". The same construction has occurred already in Anabasis 1, III, 12: πολλοῦ ἄξιος: "worthy of much".

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

Victor wrote:καὶ τὰ πλείστου ἄξια ἐνθέμενοι is perfectly regular Greek. The genitive πλείστου is dependent on the neuter accusative τὰ ἄξια, τὰ πλείστου ἄξια being literally "things worthy of the most". The same construction has occurred already in Anabasis 1, III, 12: πολλοῦ ἄξιος: "worthy of much".
Thanks very much for the explanation and especially the other example which has helped me get a better feel for the construction.

Is this specific to ἄξιος or can it work for other adjectives as a sort of alternative comparative?
λονδον

Victor
Textkit Fan

Post by Victor »

daivid wrote: Is this specific to ἄξιος or can it work for other adjectives as a sort of alternative comparative?
I'm not sure I understand why you describe it as an alternative comparative. Can you explain? The genitive depending on ἄξιος is usually thought of as a genitive of price or value.

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

Victor wrote: I'm not sure I understand why you describe it as an alternative comparative. Can you explain? The genitive depending on ἄξιος is usually thought of as a genitive of price or value.
Now it becomes completely clear, thanks.
Price or Value: Denotes the price or value of an object Smyth 1336-1337
“χιλίων δραχμῶν δίκην φεύγω” Dem. 55.25; I am defendant in an action involving a thousand drachma
λονδον