An exercise from intensive course?

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
scottsanett
Textkit Neophyte

An exercise from intensive course?

Post by scottsanett »

I don't know how I am going to translate this sentence from Unit 7. I think it's related to the conditional sentences with relative protases and it seems like an optative+optative, future less vivid conditional sentence, but still it doesn't make any sense.

αἰσχρὰ ἂν πράττοιτε οἳ τοὺς τῆς οἰκίᾱς ποιήματα μὴ διδάσκοισθε.

What really confuses me here is the nominative masculine plural relative pronoun "hoi" since both verbs are conjugated as second person plural.

Any ideas?

Qimmik
Textkit Zealot

Re: An exercise from intensive course?

Post by Qimmik »

"conditional sentences with relative protases" -- That's what this is. The (understood) antecedent of the relative clause beginning with οἳ is ὑμεῖς.

"You who . . . " or "If you should not . . . you would not."

scottsanett
Textkit Neophyte

Post by scottsanett »

Qimmik wrote:"conditional sentences with relative protases" -- That's what this is. The (understood) antecedent of the relative clause beginning with οἳ is ὑμεῖς.

"You who . . . " or "If you should not . . . you would not."
If you should not teach men in the house poems, you would be doing bad things.
That makes sense now. Thank you. :)

bondarev
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bondarev »

scottsanett wrote: If you should not teach men in the house poems, you would be doing bad things.
Two (minor) observations regarding that translation.

1. You have it simply as a future less vivid, without regard for the (general) force of that relative protasis. I think it would be better as, "if any of you...", or "whoever of you...". (HQ discusses this on p. 176-77.)

2. διδάσκοισθε is, obviously, present MIDDLE. And that middle voice has a causative force, so that it's not simply "teach" but rather "cause (someone) to be taught". (HQ p. 168)

Hope this helps.