Textkit Logo

Two silly questions..

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Two silly questions..

Postby Vluuv » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:28 pm

I have two questions, both maybe slightly silly, but I'd still like to make sure I know for sure before I move on to the more complicated grammar.

First off, the book I'm using gave me an example about using an adjective as the nominal part of the predicate. The sentence it gave me is as follows:
"Ή ύδρα μεγαλη έστι και φοβερα."
The book translates this as "The snake is big and frightening." All I was wondering is if it could also be translated as "The big snake is frightening." I know it's a bit silly, but I was wondering if there was something I missed or maybe a particular reason why they translated it that way.

My second question is about the use of predicative adjectives. My textbook said that those don't only tell you something about the noun they conjugate with, but also about the way that noun is "doing something". One of the examples they gave was "Ό Αίασ μονοσ βαινει", which would translate as Ajax walks alone. Now I tried looking this up, but I couldn't really find it: What is the difference between predicative adjectives and adverbs in Ancient Greek? Is there a different meaning or is it just a different way to phrase something?
Vluuv
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Two silly questions..

Postby Markos » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:23 pm

Vluuv wrote:"Ή ύδρα μεγαλη έστι και φοβερα."
The book translates this as "The snake is big and frightening." All I was wondering is if it could also be translated as "The big snake is frightening."

No, that would require the article in attributive position, either ἡ μεγάλη ὕδρα ἐστι καὶ φοβερά. or ἡ ὕδρα ἡ μεγάλη ἐστι καὶ φοβερά. But don't worry about how it can be translated. Worry about what it means. Close your eyes, think about what the Hydra looks like, and put it in your own terms.

μεγάλη ἐστι καὶ δεινὴ ἡ φοβερὰ ὕδρα!

What is the difference between predicative adjectives and adverbs in Ancient Greek? Is there a different meaning or is it just a different way to phrase something?

Adjectives are very often used in Greek where in English we would expect an adverb. No, I don't believe there is any substantial difference in meaning between μόνος βαίνει and μόνον βαίνει.
Markos
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek