My New Living Language Method Site for Greek & Latin

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
persequor
Textkit Member

My New Living Language Method Site for Greek & Latin

Post by persequor »

χαιρετε, πασιν! salvete, omnes! For a while now I've slowly been moving away from the grammar-translation method of learning ancient Greek and Latin (and Hebrew) to a more living-language approach focusing on reading, listening, speaking, and writing. I especially like the idea of learning everyday vocabulary in the ancient languages. Not that I haven't been reading, but am doing more now.

Since my family budget seldom permits me to buy such materials (for example, the Buth or Rico courses), I either must find what free ones are available, or make my own. I've been doing both, and now have started a new blog that will focus on the living language approach to Latin and the Biblical languages (including Aramaic). It will offer my own materials for free, starting with everyday vocabulary aids for Latin, Koine Greek, and Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic. Not that I know a lot of it yet, but as I learn I will share them with you.

I'm starting off with the Greek numbers 1 to 10, presented in context (a phrase with the number, a color word, and an everyday object), e.g., one red ball, three brown loaves, six white scrolls, etc. There will be a set of four PowerPoints presenting all three genders and the paradigms, as well as example sentences from both the Greek Bible and other literature. Each presentation includes text, audio, and pictures, and is presented entirely in Greek except for one vocabulary slide. The first two PowerPoints, covering the feminines and masculines (nominative forms) are now available for download from the site, via my Dropbox account. After the Greek set is complete, I'll do the equivalent sets for Latin, Hebrew, and Aramaic.

Your feedback and suggestions for improvement, corrections, etc. are welcome.

I am also doing my own modern language translation of the New Testament, starting with John, which will feature detailed study notes on key Greek terms and idioms and discussion of translation problems. This will be posted in draft form on the same blog site. Your feedback is welcome. You can either pm me here or email to dewayne.dulaney@gmail.com.

The blog is called Let Ancient Voices Speak, and you can find it at http://letancientvoicesspeak.preachersfiles.com.

Persequor
Dewayne Dulaney
Devenius Dulenius
Carpe diem!-Poēta Rōmānus Horātius, Carmina (Odes), a.C. XXIII/DCCXXXI A.U.C.
Blogus meus: https://letancientvoicesspeak.wordpress.com/