adelphos

Here you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Greek, and more.
bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

adelphos

Post by bingley »

I see from LSJ (http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... %3D%231212) that [size=150]ἀδελφός means brother or more specifically son of the same mother.<br /><br />Does this mean it usually refers to half-brothers? If so, what about half-brothers through the father or full brothers? What were they called?

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Re:adelphos

Post by Emma_85 »

As far as I know, [size=150]αδελφοv is not only used to refer to half-brothers, but just brothers in general. I'm not too sure about half-brothers from the fathers side, as it means son of the same mother... I'd have to ask my teacher...

greagach
Textkit Neophyte

Post by greagach »

indeed, [size=150] ἀδελφός is the general term for "brother". What is written on LSJ obviously refers to the etymology of the word: "having shared the same womb". <br /><br /> If one wants to specify the kind of brotherhood relationship, one would have to use one of the following:<br /><br /> born of the same parents: [size=150] αὐτάδελφος , ἀμφιθαλής <br /> sharing only one common parent: [size=150] ἑτεροθαλής , ἀλληλοπρόγονος , and more specifically of the same father: [size=150] ὁμοπάτριος , and of the same mother: [size=150] ὁμομήτριος , ὁμογάστριος <br /> <br />and to put it the other way round,<br /> sharing a different father: [size=150] ἀμφιπάτριος, <br />or a different mother: [size=150] ἀμφιμήτριος , ἑτερομήτριος , ἑτερογάστριος <br /><br /> but as if this weren't enough, the Greeks wanted to further insist on brotherhood, having the word [size=150] ὁμογάλακτος , for brothers who, even if they weren't born by the same parent, at least they were breast-fed by the same mother or wet-nurse.<br /><br /> and then, there are words like [size=150] ὁμαίμων , σύγγονος . But thank God, like in most cases, all these synonyms make really good sense in their structure, are easy to pronounce, to analyse and thus to comprehend.
αἴτιον: ἡ ψυχὴ μετὰ λόγου· συναίτιον: τὸ πῦρ [Ἡράκλειτος]

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

Thank you, greagach

Beyonder
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Beyonder »

[size=150] δελφός is the womb<br />Using the (sometimes) imperative 'A' we have a meaning of those from the same womb.<br /><br />Also check that womb in Greek is [size=150] μήτρα and from the same root we have [size=150] μήτηρ, μάτηρ in Latin:Mater, German:Mutter, English:Mother<br /><br />Take Care,<br /><br />Giw/rgoj

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Where does philos fall into the picture? It means something like "brotherly love," doesn't it? Or have I gotten it mixed up with something else (again)? <br /><br />Keesa

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

philos = loved, beloved, dear, or (substantive) friend<br /><br />so philadelphia = philos + adelphos = (loosely) brotherly love<br /><br />(which is probably what you were thinking of, no?)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

No, not actually...I had forgotten Philadelphia. I was actually thinking about philos, stoge, agape, and discussing them with a friend the other day. <br /><br />I had always heard Philadelphia translated "City of Brotherly Love," from philos, brotherly love, and delphia, city. You say it is from philos+adelphos. Was I mistaken? <br /><br />Keesa

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I don't know... you're the american ;)
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Emma_85
Global Moderator

Post by Emma_85 »

Klewlis is right Keesa :)<br />City is either polis, astu or ptoliethron (Homer).

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Oh, thank you! I was quite clearly confused...my usual state of mind! ;)<br /><br />Keesa