Textkit Logo

Plb. 6.6.9

Here's where you can discuss all things Ancient Greek. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Plb. 6.6.9

Postby pster » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:30 pm

ἐξ οὗ πάλιν εὔλογον ὑπογίνεσθαί τινα θεωρίαν παρὰ τοῖς πολλοῖς αἰσχροῦ καὶ καλοῦ καὶ τῆς τούτων πρὸς ἄλληλα διαφορᾶς, καὶ τὸ μὲν ζήλου καὶ μιμήσεως τυγχάνειν διὰ τὸ συμφέρον, τὸ δὲ φυγῆς.

From this, once more, it is reasonable to suppose that there would arise in the minds of the multitude a theory of the disgraceful and the honourable, and of the difference between them; and that one should be sought and imitated for its advantages, the other shunned.

I don't understand how τυγχάνειν is functioning in this sentence, nor the three genitives that it seems to govern.

Can anybody point me to a definition in LSJ?

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/mor ... =2#lexicon

Thanks in advance.
pster
Textkit Zealot

Re: Plb. 6.6.9

Postby John W. » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:57 pm

pster wrote:ἐξ οὗ πάλιν εὔλογον ὑπογίνεσθαί τινα θεωρίαν παρὰ τοῖς πολλοῖς αἰσχροῦ καὶ καλοῦ καὶ τῆς τούτων πρὸς ἄλληλα διαφορᾶς, καὶ τὸ μὲν ζήλου καὶ μιμήσεως τυγχάνειν διὰ τὸ συμφέρον, τὸ δὲ φυγῆς.

From this, once more, it is reasonable to suppose that there would arise in the minds of the multitude a theory of the disgraceful and the honourable, and of the difference between them; and that one should be sought and imitated for its advantages, the other shunned.

I don't understand how τυγχάνειν is functioning in this sentence, nor the three genitives that it seems to govern.

Can anybody point me to a definition in LSJ?

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/mor ... =2#lexicon

Thanks in advance.

pster - isn't the sense here 'meet with', i.e 'experience' or 'obtain' (LSJ B.II.1 for 'meet with')? In other words, one of these qualities would meet with imitation, i.e. be imitated.

Best wishes,

John
John W.
Textkit Fan

Re: Plb. 6.6.9

Postby pster » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:53 pm

Thanks John. I got confused by the idea of meeting with flight.
pster
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Greek